Betrayed

The picture to the side is of Varg Vikernes in the magazine Bergens Tidende

It had been a wonderful Christmas but January came with some weirdness.  Varg had disappeared after Christmas day.  He didn’t stop by the shop and no one knew where he had gone to.

One frigid January day the shop was pretty slow.  It always happened following a church burning.  It was snowing outside blanketing the city.  Benedikte and Kirsten were watching the shop while Euronymous was working in the basement office.  The girls wondered why he would want to be in the frigid basement on a day like this.  Faust no longer worked there, trying to dodge suspicions concerning the murder he committed. 

Kirsten was going through the new releases with a bored expression, and slightly sighing every few seconds.  The shrill ringing of the telephone broke the uncomfortable silence.  Benedikte, who was next to the phone, picked it up on the first ring.

“Helvete how may I help you?”  Benedikte spoke into the receiver.

“Hey Benedikte, it’s me Varg.  Um, I’m in jail,” Varg stated.

“Where have you been we’ve been wondering?  Why the hell are you in jail?”  Benedikte screamed.

“Well a few days I went to the newspaper in Bergen and told them I burned the churches and about the black circle.  They’ve arrested me on church burning charges.”

“Dammit Varg you such a fucking idiot sometimes.  Well you’ll have to stay in there.  I’m not coming to bail you out but I’m telling Euronymous.”  Benedikte said and then slammed the receiver down.

Benedikte was fuming and her shoulders were shaking.   Kirsten saw her face and rushed to ask her what was wrong.

“Well Varg’s in jail for saying he burnt the churches down to the newspaper.  He even told them about the black metal circle.  So now I need to tell Euronymous, he’s gonna be pissed.”  Benedikte answered.

She walked slowly down the stairs to the basement.  She knew that this would not be easy.

“Hey Euronymous you gotta a second?”  Benedikte said softly.

“Sure what’s up,” he asked.

She told him all about Varg and what he had said to the newspaper.

“Really why the hell would he do that.”  Euronymous exploded.

All Benedikte could do was shrug her shoulders.  She was a little afraid of what he would do.

“Well all we can do is wait and see what else the paper is gonna say.  I know they are going to blow this way out of proportion.”  Euronymous said as he led Benedikte upstairs.

And blow it out of proportion they did.  The newspaper took interest and dug up reports of satanic cults.  They made tenuous connections between that and the black circle.  When Varg was let out of jail on lack of evidence he went back to the newspaper.  He told them it was a hoax and a way to spread the Burzum name and himself. 

When Benedikte went back to work there was a crowd of media personalities.  She had to wade and push through people to get through to the front door.  Questions were hurled her way and she ignored them.  Once she got through the door only Euronymous and Kirsten were inside.

“What the hell are we gonna do?  We’ve gotta do something.”  Benedikte said.

“We’ve gotta go out there and tell them something.  Come with me girls I’m gonna try to set the record straight.”  Euronymous said.

He locked his arms with theirs and walked them outside stoically.

“Members of the press,” Euronymous said loudly and everyone quieted down.