Chapter 1: The Incident

I do not own Harry Potter. I don't own any of the Character's, Places or Things from The Harry Potter World. I make NO Money or Profit of Any Kind. The same goes for any unoriginal lyrics or poetry.

They all laughed at her.

Gossip would spread through the gaggles of witches and rumor would appear in the daily prophet like it was fact. After a while, it became common knowledge. There was simply no doubt about it.

Pandora Lovegood was crazy.

And to think, she used to be such a respected member of the Wizarding world.

But when you marry a man like Xenophilius Lovegood your place in society is bound to fall.

It was a society Pandora despised, she had long become disenchanted with the rules of Magical society. Every time she heard words like Mudblood it made her sick; even worse was how often the words came from the top and not the bottom of Wizarding society. This culminated with Pandora posting the following statement in her husband's paper, the Quibbler.

"That I would rather be a Muggle then a witch if it meant I wouldn't have to associate with the backwards thinking of very stupid wizards."

It was a good thing then that Pandora didn't care at all about social standings because after that hers was non-existent. She was more interested in discovering the secrets of magic- secrets others only dreamed of.

It was one of these secrets Pandora was working on when she was interrupted by a familiar knock on the door. Pandora opened the door to see her 9 year old daughter rubbing her eyes.

"Mom, it's 1:30 in the morning, I'm trying to sleep!" Luna whined, as she always did when her mother worked into the night. Pandora's work was usually quite loud and occasionally explosive, making sleep impossible.

"Luna, sweetie, shut the door behind you or the Nargles will get out." Pandora was rushing around her basement lab waving her wand while mixing a strange potion.

"What are Nargles?" the young Luna scoffed. "Are they the same as Dad's Crumple-horned Snorkacks?"

"You've been listening to those kids too much," Pandora said, humming a song in her head while she worked.

"They say you and dad are crazy. They also say that you're dangerous," Luna stated, trying to get a look at what her mother was doing.

Pandora just laughed. "People are always scared of what they don't understand, Luna."

"But I don't understand!" Luna yelled in frustration. She was very close to her mother but was also easily infuriated by her riddles.

Pandora practically lifted her off the ground with enthusiasm as she explained her work to her daughter. "I may have discovered The Answer to The Question".

"What question, Mom?" Luna asked.

"What is Magic?!" Pandora yelled with excitement!

Luna just gave her mother a quizzical look as Pandora began throwing seemingly random objects into the potion. Pandora looked up at Luna and more calmly began to explain.

"Well, what is Magic? I mean, we all know it's a power that allows us to do extraordinary things, but what, in its most pure essence...is Magic? How does it do the things it does? How do some have the ability to wield it while other can't? Like Muggles..."

"Or Squibs". Luna added as Pandora looked off away in thought.

"Yes, like Squibs. Well, I believe the Nargles hold the answer. Now if I am correct, the Nargle is a very rare form of fairy. I believe that they hold more magic than any other being known to wizard kind. If I could harness even a fraction of a Nargle's power, the possibilities could change the world. We could send humanity into a new stage of peace and prosperity," Pandora finished majestically before returning to her work. Luna just looked confused and worried.

"Have you ever even seen a Nargle?" Luna asked.

"Nope!" Pandora answered giggling with excitement.

"Then how do you know they exist?" Luna inquired further.

"I don't," Pandora laughed before realizing she lost her wand in her excitement and began to look for it.

Luna stared at her mother in silence before finally saying "The kids are right, you have lost your mind."

Pandora just smiled and kissed her daughter on her forehead.

"Maybe you're right dear. The things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect," Pandora said lovingly before laughing, as she found her wand on top of her own glasses.

"First I drink this potion which will hopefully give me the ability to see the Nargles" She said as she drank the potion then raised her wand. "Now if I see one I'll harness the power from the Nargles."

"Imaginatio Potestatem."

Luna wasn't sure how she ended up on the floor. There was ringing in her ears that drowned out the bedlam surrounding her. As her vision began to clear, she saw that the lab was completely destroyed. The room was being consumed by fire while vials of potions were pouring onto the floor, causing explosions.

Then Luna saw her...lying on the ground.

Luna ran to help her up, but she would not move. Only then did she see her mother's face and stared into the lifeless eyes that would never see her daughter again...