Chapter 6: The Head Boy

"GRIFFINDOOR!"

The sorting ceremony went by smoothly with the exception that instead of the new students staring at Dumbledore, they were staring at the young man sitting at the corner of the staff table.

Harry gave a wave when Ron and Hermione came into the great hall with the rest of the students and they smiled back waving. It was surreal for Harry to be on the other side of the staff table and he could see the surprise on all the students' faces when they saw him up there.

"I would like to make a few announcements before the feast," McGonagall announced.

"First, some new rules. Due to the ongoing repairs Hogwarts is going under, certain areas must not be entered by students. You will not only disrupt the rebuilding process but it could cause you serious injury or worse. Because of this, certain classes will be moved to different rooms. Potions will no longer be held in the dungeons, and Divination will also be moved the Astrology tower."

"Also once again it is time for our annual announcement of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor and hopefully this one will be around for years to come, Mr. Harry Potter I..." She was cut off by the thunderous cheers from the students. Hermione and Ron were hollering, making Harry chuckle, embarrassed.

McGonagall whistled and the room grew silent. "As I was saying, I understand that Harry is friends with some of you and enemies with others," Harry swore she looked over at the Slytherin table. "I am also aware that he is a hero to many more of you and roughly the same age as half the students here. HOWEVER despite all these thing Mr. Potter is first and foremost a Professor of Hogwarts. You will treat him as such. He is not a student nor will he be treated like one. An easy way to avoid confusion is to not do anything with or to Potter you would not do to me."

Harry knew what she was saying as her message was meant for him as well. Harry was used to being insulted and getting into fights during his time at Hogwarts. The image of Malfoy getting into a fight with McGonagall had Harry holding back a laugh. He also looked around the Slytherin table and breathed a sigh of relief to see Malfoy wasn't there.

"I would also like to announce the Head Boy and Girl this year. The Head Girl is one of the brightest witches in the history of Hogwarts, Hermione Granger." The room applauded and Hermione blushed. She had already found out during the summer and the three of them had celebrated with firewiskey.

The Head boy has shown himself to be one of the most talented and bravest wizards we have ever seen at Hogwarts, Michael Corner."

The room applauded for the Ravenclaw who to Harry's surprise had a look of loathing in his eyes. In fact he was glaring daggers at the Gryffindor table.

"Now let the feast begin," McGonagall announced, and everyone was elbows deep in food. McGonagall walked over to where Harry was sitting.

"You are a Professor now and you must behave and act like one. However there is no actual rule stating that you have to sit with us Teachers," She winked as she walked away.

Ron and Hermione where thrilled when Harry suddenly joined them across the Gryffindor table.

"So your allowed to sit with us students now Mr. Potter," Ron teased as Harry took a seat.

"Most teachers don't like to get too chummy with their students since they are supposed to be authority figures...but I think that ship has sailed for me," Harry explained as he started to eat.

Hermione spoke quietly so only Harry and Ron could hear. "Harry, where is Luna? I heard something happened with her on the train. Ron and I spent the whole train ride trying to calm the students with the other prefects."