Chapter 46: Luna's Mother

Xenophilius knocked on the door to Pandora's lab as he rubbed his sleepy eyes with his other hand. Pandora opened the door and smiled. "Hello love, how is our favorite husband doing."

Xenophilius groaned as Pandora pulled him into the lab. "Pandora it's 5 in the morning I'm trying to sleep."

"Sorry we will try to keep it down." Pandora said quickly as she started writing numbers down onto a parchment.

Xenophilius frowned. "No...That's not the problem, you called me down."

Pandora looked up confused and Xenophilius elaborated. "You sent a Patronus saying you wanted to show me something."

Pandora's eyes popped as she remembered. "Oh...That's right. Sit down, please sit down."

Xenophilius looked around. "Where are the chairs?"

"Conjure one." Pandora replied as she started rummaging through her papers. Xenophilius did as he was told as he watched Pandora wearily. Ever since her head injury Pandora had been acting rather odd.

"Here it is." Pandora exclaimed as she pulled out a huge sword from under one of the desks.

Xenophilius squeaked as he jumped out of his chair and backed away. "What the Bloody hell are you doing with a Sword?"

"Oh relax you big baby, I just need it to cut spells in order to sample the material." Pandora shouted with excitement.

Xenophilius gulped. "How did you get a sword?"

Pandora laughed. "Magic of course."

"That doesn't really answer my question." Xenophilius took another three steps back. "Is that safe?"

Pandora shrugged as she used her wand to sharpen the blade. Then she whispered. "Cast a spell."

Xenophilius did so, casting a Levitation charm on an empty potion vial. Pandora smiled as she reached into her pocket and put on a pair of glasses that resembled a kaleidoscope. Xenophilius had to admit, she never looked crazier than she did in that moment. Pandora raised the sword above her head. "Stand still, I don't want to accidentally cut off your head."

"WHAT!" Xenophilius shrieked but it was too late. Pandora brought the sword down onto the spell, the vial dropped to the floor and shattered.

Pandora removed her glasses as she frowned. "Well that was anti-climatic and I don't have my sample. Still it proves that objects can interfere with magic."

"Unless the sword is a magical object." Xenophilius sighed wearily.

"OH!" Pandora shouted before she glanced at her sword and uttered. "Oh..."

Xenophilius chuckled wearily as he wrapped his arms around his wife. "Dora, you've been working nonstop for years, maybe you need a break from this research."

Pandora shook her head, "I can't, I have work to do, work I have to do. For Luna ,for Squibs, for the future, for-"

"You can't function properly like this." Xenophilius cut off Pandora's rambling. "Right now, Luna needs you as a Mother, just as I need my wife."

Pandora looked down with remorse in her eyes. Xenophilius tipped her chin up. "What's wrong love?"

Pandora looked back down as she whispered. "Last week, Luna asked me if she was a Squib."

Pandora felt Xenophilius stiffen in her arms. "What did you say?"

"The truth of course." Pandora snapped harshly. "Did you expect me to lie about such a thing?"