Chapter 31: Showdown at the Golden Swamp

The Golden Swamp certainly lived up to half of its name. This pub was filthy! Hermione understood the need to be discrete but this was ridiculous. The ground was literally mud!

Ron didn't seem to mind the place, in fact he had already walked right up to the bartender. "Excuse me, do you have any Butterbeer?"

The Muggle bartender raised an eyebrow. "What in God's name is Butterbeer?"

"How about Firewiskey?" Ron continued oblivious to Hermione's groan.

The Bartender was completely lost. "Firewiskey? Are you some sort of fruit? Cause if you are, you're looking for the bar across the street."

"Do I look like a fruit? I'm a person not an apple!" Ron shot back angrily.

"Ron will you be quiet." Hermione hissed, embarrassed.

"What about Pumpkin Juice?" Ron asked.

"I got some Pumpkin Juice for you." The Bartender grumbled as he walked away.

"See Hermione, I knew they would have something." Ron said triumphantly.

"Ron, if that man brings you back a drink, it won't be Pumpkin juice." Hermione sighed before pausing. "Ron, Look!"

Unnoticed by the dozen Muggles in the damp bar, was the infrequent flashing of an emerald, green light. It flickered from the unnaturally dark corner of the bar. Ron and Hermione slowly approached the light, and as they stepped into the shadow, came face to face with two faceless beings.

They wore pitch black robes that covered their faces. They floated over the ground like Dementors and spoke in a chilling voice that death himself would fear. "You Came Alone?"

"Yes." Hermione whispered praying that she hadn't made a mistake.

The second voice spoke, and wolves started barking. "Are you sure you weren't followed?"

"As sure as we can be under the circumstances." Hermione replied with more confidence.

The eerie figures stared silently at her. Hermione felt herself compelled to speak, all prior confidence gone. "I was told you...had information on the whereabouts of Harry Potter and...Lu...Luna Lovegood."

"What is the one subject you failed to get an O for during your Owl's?" The first voice asked abruptly, effectively caching Hermione off guard.

"DADA." Hermione answered, confused.

The second voice spoke as Hermione's eyes widened with recognition. "Weasley, what did your Mother call you as she tucked you in at night."

Ron's face turned as red as his hair as Hermione struggled to hold her giggles. The two 'specters' continued their interrogation. "What did your mother call you Ron."

Ron had turned a shade of orange as he muttered. "Ronny Bunny..."

At this Hermione burst out laughing as the specters lowered their hoods, revealing the faces of one Potter and one Lovegood.

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed as she threw herself at Harry, either hugging him or attempting to kill him. "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S REALLY YOU! IT'S BEEN SO LONG!"

Luna 's face seemed to be wearing an uncharacteristic smirk as Harry gasped for air. Hermione released Harry before attacking Luna with the same intensity. "LUNA! WHERE HAVE YOU TWO BEEN?"

Luna flailed her arms as she gave a panicky muffle. "I don't like this, please stop crushing me."

"Leave off them Hermione." Ron snorted as he pulled Harry into a less life threatening hug. "Where the bloody hell have you been."