Chapter 44: The Fallout

Alberforth emerged from his house with George running behind him. The Gryffindor students that had followed George out of Hogwarts through the room of requirements remained inside as to not be spotted by the Totalitar. George and Alberforth however were quickly seen by a Totalitar who ordered. "Please return to your homes. We are dealing with a code black emergency. We will alert you when it's safe to come out."

George and Alberforth shook their heads and walked passed him. "If there is an emergency we want to help...oh Merlin."

The streets of Hogsmeade were flooded with people all looking up at the Missile heading straight for Hogwarts. One Totalitar shouted to the people. "When that dark object hits the castle of Hogwarts, then the explosion will spread and engulf us all. If anyone wishes to he help prevent this, please raise your wands to the sky and cast the Protego charm. If you would rather go inside, do so now."

The people followed the Totalitar, to the edge of the village and together, they all raised their wands and cried out. "Protego!"

George and Alberforth looked up and watched as a purple shield started to form around the village The united Wizards stood tall with their raised wands, but all of them gasped when it happened.

The missile struck Hogwarts and George used his non wand arm to cover his eyes as he was blinded by a flash of white light. The light faded just enough for him and the other Wizards to see the Ball of fire that was once Hogwarts. It was the most beautiful and terrible thing George had ever seen. It hypnotized him, drew him closer, like a moth to a flame. Alberforth pulled him backwards, and George snapped out of his trance. The fire seemed to be spreading, as it formed into a mushroom shaped cloud.

George felt the hair on his neck stand tall as he spoke to Alberforth. "That's a bomb?!"

The old man nodded slowly, also unable to look away. "The greatest of them all. Terrible but great in its power."

The Flames spread closer as George's thoughts raced to Harry. He prayed to the Mother of Magic that Harry somehow got out of the Castle in time. His thoughts were cut off when Alberforth cried out. "HOLD ON!"

The flames continued to spread at a horrific speed before consuming their magically conjured shield in smoke and fire. The force of the explosion knocked some of the civilians to the ground. Fire seemed to strike the shield and shake the entire village. The Totalitar remained as still as statues while others were able to remain on their feet. Outside of the entire shield burned with fire. Everywhere George was looking, the sky was burning flames. This must be what Hades is like.

Gradually the shaking settled down, as the flames faded into a toxic smoke. One of the Totalitar, lowered his wand and started casting a charm on the other Wizards. "All of you who are not Totalitar can lower your wands. It will be roughly 24 hours before it will be safe to lower the shield and investigate the destruction. However without some anti-radiation spells you will be contaminated by the bombs radiation."

George paled with fear. "You mean, on top of all that, it also makes the environment uninhabitable."

"Yes, though you can inhabit said environment, it is very unwise as it will mutate you among other things."

George looked at Alberforth. "I need to use your flue powder, I need to inform...my family."

Alberforth, glanced at the surrounding Totalitar. "Yes your "family" will need to know of this."

"How long will radiation last." Someone called out.

"With an explosion that sized, maybe a year." A Totalitarian answered causing one of the Wizards to faint.