Chapter 49: The Individuals

In the dark depths of the Ministry, Harry ran down the corridors, trying to outrun the horrible bloodcurdling screams. The cries grew louder as Harry stumbled into the center of a small circular room, with four hallways converging on the same spot. Harry spun in circles with his sword raised, looking down each corridor for whatever creature was making those horrible sounds, sounds which were growing louder. He was certainly lost, and the skin on his arms and back still burned from the Dragon fire.

Then Harry saw them, the horrible mutant creatures, that clearly were once human. As they charged Harry he heard another shriek from behind him. Harry spun around and cut down a lunging Mutant. Harry raised his sword, warding them off, but he quickly realized they were coming from all sides. With a blast from his wand he sent a dozen mutants flying but many others took their place.

Harry raised the Elder wand to the sword of Gryffindor and with a wave of the wand set the blade aflame. Harry waved the flaming sword, forcing the mutants backwards as best he could. The flames repelled the Mutants as Harry journeyed down another corridor. Despite this the Mutants continued to snap at his feet, trying to take quick bites out of him. As they were bathed in the light of the fire, Harry could see the yellow in the mutants eyes. Harry recognized what they were and felt his stomach twist in disgust and fear. "Was this Luna's fate. If he failed, would they do this to her? Turn her into one of these...things."

As Harry continued forward, warding off the humanoids, he saw a doorway at the end of the corridor. Harry sighed with relief, but one of the creatures grabbed at Harry's sword. Harry lashed out with his sword and injured the mutant but to Harry's horror the slime on it's skin put out the fire, and everything went black.

AAAAARRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Harry felt the mutants engulf him, biting and clawing at his arms and legs, while trying to reach his throat. Harry fired curses from his wand repetitively. Catching terrifying glimpses of the mutants from the flashes of light the curses brought. Harry kicked and swung his sword desperately pushing forward and collided into the wall. He knew he had to keep moving or he would surely be killed, and if he fell...

Harry could feel teeth bite into his leg and brought his sword down, a sharp shriek signified the creature's death. Harry fired more curses as he charged forward tackling as many Mutants as he could before slamming into the door. Harry felt the creatures lunge on him as he fired cure after curse, to fight them off. Harry waved his wand and the door opened causing Harry to fall inside.. The mutants started poring on top of him but a blast of fire from his wand sent them fleeing. The cries were cut off as Harry forced them out of the room with the fire and slammed the door with a bang. Harry felt the door rattle as the mutants pounded against it and with a sudden moment of clarity he decided to leave as quickly as possible.

Harry ran across the pitch black room and towards the light creeping out from beneath a door. Harry opened the door and was startled to see thousands of mirrors before him. Harry could see reflections of himself throughout the room. Harry cautiously stepped into the room and readied his sword. Harry tensed as he heard the sound of harsh breathing and quickly whipped on his invisibility cloak, waiting nervously for the next ghastly obstacle to reveal itself.

But nothing happened, no one came. Harry slowly continued forward, past the many mirrors and distorted reflections, following the sound Harry now could make out...crying.

Harry felt his heart beat faster and the burnt skin on his back suddenly went cold, like a cold gust of wind had blown upon it. Harry recognized the soft crying but he didn't want to be believe it..,no...he couldn't believe it...not until he was certain...certain it wasn't a dream...

Harry pressed his back against the mirror and slid himself against it. Harry edged closer to the next corner as the path turned left and slowly peeked his invisible head from behind the corner.