Chapter 12: Fly on the Wall

Luna was so excited she was shaking in her seat. Luna squeezed Harry's hand with anticipation as they sat together at the Gryffindor table. There was only two or three students who knew what was about to happen and it was going to be a most interesting situation,

"Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention please."

The Great Hall was silenced by the voice of the Headmistress. It had been a week since Luna had approached McGonagall with her demands. It seemed Luna's parting suggestion was one McGonagall agreed with.

"Due to Mr. Corner's actions, he has been removed from the position of Head Boy.

So please give a round of applause for the New Head Boy

Draco Malfoy."

For the exception of the Slytherins the hall went silent. Draco got up from his seat, bowing with charisma to his fellow Slytherins like the arrogant twit he was...or so they thought. If only they knew the amount of spells he had to cast to hide his miserable, unhealthy state. The Head Boy had to be someone strong after all.

Draco began to strut down the table as the Slytherins cheered the return of their champion while other houses began to boo and jeer. McGonagall had already lost control of the situation and it was looking like a riot would soon break out. The students couldn't be blamed for being angry. How the hell did a Death Eater known for prejudice become Head Boy?

Now Draco was walking down the Gryffindor table at a high intensity but if people could see his face they would've seen the fear he was trying to hide. Gryffindors began to stand in his way but none stopped him as he walked towards his target...The MUDBLOOD Head Girl.

Hermione stood up as Draco approached her and aimed her wand in self-defense, she was as confused as anyone about what Draco was doing. Ron was already sending a curse at the Head Boy but was easily blocked.

Strangely enough, Harry remained sitting during the confrontation with a calm smile on his face. He watched as Draco put his wand away and held out his hand to Hermione.

The entire great hall was suddenly silent. If they weren't confused before they sure were now.

Hermione just stared at the hand in shock. Never in a million years did she ever expect Draco to do something like this. Then she noticed it...The dark mark was missing. Upon seeing this she looked into Draco eyes and saw the change in him. The Fear, the Weakness, the Need for Redemption. His Shell Shocked Eyes held no ill will to her. Upon seeing those eyes Hermione took Draco's hand in her own.

Draco stared at their shaking hands in disbelief. Overwhelmed with emotions he pulled her into a hug, shocking the stiffened Hermione as much as the rest of the room. Even Luna was astonished by this while Ron was simply stunned. Draco was doing everything in his power to hold back his tears as Hermione hugged the broken creature. She knew this was not Draco Malfoy, this was someone trying to make a change for the better.

Draco let her go and raised his wand. He felt a fire awakened in him that he never though he'd feel again. He screamed the words to the silent hall with all his might.

NO MORE HATE

At this the room erupted in chaos. The Slytherins where now the only ones not cheering. In fact they were storming over the other tables to get to Draco. Some of them were even dubbing him vocally the dreaded title of...BLOOD TRAITOR

It was clear that violence was about to break out between the houses when something most strange happened. Draco was attacked not by a spell but by a glob of pudding. He turned surprised to see a familiar blond girl winking at him and he knew what to do. Draco grabbed a random plate of food and started throwing it back at Luna.