1

Victoria above in the MM

Victoria

"Sister Victoria you sounded great today up there! Good job hunny." A church friend of mines told me as she walked pass.

"Thank you sister." I hugged her and kissed her cheek, then proceeded towards the front of the church to greet my pastor.

I'd been going to this church for as long as I could remember. I've known Pastor Adams since I was a little girl. He was like a father figure to me and I'd learned a lot from him over the years.

"Ah. There's my girl." He says with a smile. "How are you Victoria?"

"I've been great pastor. I can't complain." I smiled. "How are you?"

"Blessed and highly favored." He starts. "And I must say great job this morning. I'm so grateful to have you as our praise and worship leader."

"Thank you so much. It's an honor to serve the Lord in any way I can."

"That's right!" He says before we embraced. "Well. I gotta get going. I have a meeting on the other side of town. But it was nice talking to you." He said.

"You too. I'll see you Wednesday." I hugged him.

"Take care of yourself." He says before walking off.

"I always do." I said with a smile before walking in the opposite direction.

I made my way towards the door and quickly spoke to the rest of my family on my way out. Speed walking, I made it to my car quickly. I knew sometimes my parents got a little impatient after service.

"What took you so long?" My dad asked as I unlocked and slipped into the car.

"I'm sorry Daddy. I was speaking to the pastor and making my rounds around the church. I do it every Sunday. You know that."

"I sure wish your brother was more like you Victoria. Church was great today." Mama said getting into the passenger seat while daddy got into the back.

"That boy has been nothing but trouble since day one." My father says. "Nobody but the Lord himself can save that boy. Stubborn."

"Hmph. I wonder where he got that from?" My mother says shaking her head.

I made a mental note to have a conversation with my brother. My parents were always worried about him, given his history of always being in trouble and even getting arrested a few times. My father always called him his "problem child."

As for my other siblings, I wasn't sure of their reasons for leaving the church. Our parents were very big on going to church and what they believed in. Growing up we attended church two to three times a week, attended Sunday school, and were even apart of many activities of the church.

But as we grew older, I was the only who remained in the church. Lord knows, I always prayed for my family. But we still had our issues of course.

----------

My family went on to have their own lives and even their own families. Everybody was always so busy but we'd. never miss a Sunday together. That was our day. My parents made us all promise to make sure we reserved Sunday's for dinner. It had become a tradition for us to eat together every Sunday after service. And while my siblings left the church, they'd never miss a chance to eat some of mama's cooking.

I had two older sisters, who were both married with children now. My brother Joshua attended college away in Memphis. And my other brother Danny still lived with my parents. When he moved out of my parents home, trouble always seemed to find him. He's now back home in the process of getting his life together and back on track.