12

Victoria

Today my mother called herself having some type of intervention for my sisters and I. I definitely didn't want to be here right now. With everything that had previously happened I just wasn't in the mood for constant bickering today. I just wanted to stay home and lay on my couch all day. That was definitely the plan until she began blowing up my phone.

I was always down for Sunday dinners but today was different. I didn't even bother to go to church this morning and that was not like me at all.

"What's all this fussing I'm hearing about? We raised you three better than that." Dad said.

"Shit." Madison said. "Mama can't this wait until after dinner?" She asked.

"No we'll do this right here and right now." Dad said.

Danny looked every bit of annoyed. If anybody was over it, it was him. That and he hated to be scolded by my parents. We were adults now.

"All this nonsense for nothing." He says. "It's your fault we getting fussed at like some lil ass kids."

"Shut up." Maddie said.

"No you shut up you stuck up brat."

"And you ain't nothing but a jail bird anyway." She shot back.

"You think you better than me some? You may be my sister but I swear-." Danny says before my father cuts him off.

"That's enough." He says.

"All this arguing is something that I'm not in the mood for. We're family. We should be able to talk like adults." I said.

"Victoria is right." Mama said.

"Isn't she always?" Maddie mumbled. " Victoria has always been the favorite child. She literally can do no wrong."

"Seriously?" I asked.

"We're leaving. Maybe next Sunday because I'm not putting up with this." She grabbed her purse and stood up from her seat.

She left out with her husband William right behind her. I don't know what's gotten into Maddie. Lately she's changed a lot and I wasn't sure why. All we've managed to do lately is argue. Things were beginning to change. Our family was beginning to change. And not for the better.

I really wanted to do nothing more but go home and crawl into my bed. It's been almost three weeks since I spoke to Odell or anyone really. I missed him so much but I needed time to think things through, especially this relationship of ours. So I stopped responding to all of his texts and calls.

I didn't know how to deal with what happened. And if that's what it would be like all the time, maybe being in a relationship with him just wasn't the right thing for me. Dealing drugs? I was definitely surprised but with the clothes and the expensive cars? The way that he spent money like it was nothing? There was an explanation to what I'd been curious about all this time.

I had a lot on my mind and heart. All this arguing? It wasn't doing anything but adding fuel to the fire. Even praying wouldn't fix all of this right now.

"I don't know what's gotten into Madison." She ran her hands through her hair and shook her head. "I'm gonna go lay down." She said as she sniffed.

I knew that my mama's feelings were hurt. Madison had been so disrespectful lately. Her and Madison never seen eye to eye about anything really. The relationship was very complicated and it's been that way for as long as I could remember.

And Madison was harboring anger towards me but I didn't know why.

I walked out of the house and onto the porch.