Four

June 16th, 2020

Sounding super stupid, I haven't come out of the room in four days. I'm so upset and I know that I've let Jack down. He doesn't show it, but he doesn't need to. I already know that I've disappointed him.

"Baby, you need to get off of the bed. Peyton wants to play with you."

"I'm not in the mood, Jack." I tell him, looking at him.

He sets our child on the ground. The only child we'll ever have with each other. It shouldn't pain me to look at my own husband and baby.

"I know your not in the mood, but it's unhealthy for you to lay here all day." He says with concern.

"I get up and shower." I huff.

"I know you do, but I haven't been to work in almost a week. Can you please cooperate with me and take care of our son?" He emphasizes. "I need to work. I get that you're upset, but we need to move beyond that. There's nothing we can do."

"I'm so sorry, Jack." I apologize, beginning to cry.

"Sorry for what?" He quietly asks, rushing towards me. "Don't be sorry. It's not your fault."

"I can't give you anymore kids that look like you." I sob.

He quickly pulls me into a hug, cradling my head and shushing me. He rubs my back up and down in a soothing manner and I'm so grateful to have someone like him. To comfort me. To be there for me.

I hear a sudden thud and Peyton begins to cry. Being the panicked mother that I am, I rip myself from Jack's grip and swoop down to grab my baby.

"Aw, are you hurt baby. I'm sorry I wasn't watching you." I bounce him up and down, kissing his forehead repeatedly.

His crying immediately seizes and Jack watches me.

"He's a momma's boy like you."

"I don't like talking about my mom, you know this." He rolls his eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry." I caress his cheek, pecking his lips quickly.

"The first kiss I've gotten in four whole days, you can do better." He grins.

I laugh, kissing him once more, deeper and mor passionate this time. What would I have done without his help?

June 17th, 2020

There's an incoming call from the hospital and it only reminds me of the bad news I received last week. Jack's at work, so he can't be the brave one and answer it for me. I slide answer.

"Hello?" I nervously ask and hear a professional voice.

"Mrs. Camila Gilinsky?" The female asks.

"Yes."

"I was scanning through my files for appointments and your name was written down, I just wanted to know if you were aware that you didn't not check in. Did something come up?" She asks me.

"No, no, I was there." I bite my bottom lip. "I saw a doctor."

"Oh, Mr. Glendale?"

"Um, no. A different doctor than my usual one. The secretary told me he was out that day." I tell her and she hums in response.

"Which doctor did you see?"

"Mrs. Cassandra." I reply.

I hear typing on the other line, "Mrs. Cassandra? I hope you know that she isn't a qualified doctor yet. She's in training."

My eyebrows furrow, "w-what?"

It's like all of the air was sucked out of me. This can't be true. We went though a specific process and everything.

"She's not certified. Did you see her have a yellow sticker on her tag?"

I try to remember and I blatantly remember seeing a neon yellow sticker on her nursing and doctor badge.

"Yes." I mumble.

"That identifies people in training from other doctors. Whatever she told you was most likely false. Can you tell me what you needed that day?"

"I wanted to see if something was wrong with me. My husband and I are trying to have another baby and she told me that I was infertile." I mutter.

"Do you mind coming back to the hospital for another check up? I can assure you that what she told you was false. She barely knows anything in the pregnancy category."

My eyes widen, "but she- she took a sample. Can't I sue her for that?"

I don't know why I would even. We have enough money.

"Yes, you most definitely can, but can you please come back to the hospital tomorrow around 4?"

Four? I'll have Sam watch Peyton, I guess. I should start paying him, but I think he genuinely enjoys babysitting.

"I'll be there." I tell her.

"Alright, thank you. I have all of your information entered. Make sure you check in with me tomorrow. I'm Ms. Anderson."

"Okay, thank you so much." I say and then hang up.

I squeal for no reason and then realize that Peyton is taking a nap right next to me. What she told me could be false! But all of that crying for nothing. And I made Jack miss a lot of work. I frown, picking the phone back up to call Jack.

"Yes, baby? I'm busy." He says right away. "I'm making up all of the work I didn't do these last few days."

Not even a hello or anything.

"I have semi-great news."

"Can you make it quick?" Jack asks and my frown deepens.

"You're obviously really busy I guess-"

"That I am." He sighs and I hear a pen land on a desk.

"I just wanted to say that the doctor we saw wasn't a qualified doctor and that I'm most likely not infertile."

"What? That's great-"

"Yeah, you're busy, bye." I sigh, hanging up the phone.

I set it down on the couch, face up. We should try for another baby while I'm ovulating, but should we even have another baby? I can't take care of two on my own and I'm beginning to have second thoughts...

My phone starts to ring again and I see Jack's caller ID pop up. I ignore the call and stand to go grab Peyton's bottle of milk. He should be waking up any minute.

{vote, comment, share}