Eighteen

June 29th, 2020

I'm almost reluctant to answer, "yes... That's me."

"We were hired by Mr. Gilinsky to come and look for you. Seemed to be pretty easy. Took only an hour and a half considering we started on the right side of the neighborhood." She tells me and my mouth runs dry.

"Uh... Um... I don't know what to say." I stutter a little. "Did he tell you why I went away in the first place?"

"No, he did not. We were just asked to look for you." She responds.

"I'm sure if you heard the reason, you would know why I left." I cross my arms over my chest, not trying to be rude.

"I'm sure you had a valid reason, but because this is my job, the reason is irrelevant." She tells me and my eyes spring out of my head.

"He cheated on me!" I exclaim and Michael puts both of his hands on my shoulders to calm me down. "I can't go back to him and listen to his bullshit explanation."

I'm such a hypocrite. Telling Jack not to curse in front of Peyton, but now I'm the one doing it the most.

"You can either come back with us-" the man beside her begins.

My eyelids lower than the mans words, "he lives next door."

"Or, we'll leave you be-"

"Do that." I cut him off a second time and irritation and annoyance is visible on his face.

"And tell him where you are." He adds to his words.

"Okay, tell him where I am." I shrug, not caring anymore about the situation. "It's not like I'm going to leave and go back with him."

The man takes a deep breath and the lady nods her head. They both turn and go back to where they came from, not saying a farewell. I shut the door and quickly panic.

"We have like two seconds before he starts banging on the door. What the hell do I do?!" I shout, startling everyone in the room, including the dog.

"Calm down." Michael bends a little to make eye contact with me. "We'll just eat dinner and I'll be the one to answer the door."

"No, you can't. It's going to get bad. He's going to try and throw a punch and then you are- you know where this is going."

"I have insurance." Michael smirks. "It won't matter if he gives me a black eye or attempts to break my arm in half."

I shake my head, trying to dismiss the panic running through me. God damn it. Private investigators?!

"We still need to feed Wilson and Peyton." I tell him.

"And ourselves. Don't worry, Camila. He's not going to hurt you." Michael assures me.

"How do you know that? You don't know Jack how I know him!" I raise my voice once again, but then quickly lower it.

The doorbell starts to repetitively ring and I jump out of my skin. He's here already. Michael storms to the door and I stay back, quickly grabbing Peyton. I go into the kitchen.

"Where the hell is she?!" Jack's voice booms.

"You have some nerve to be showing up here, Jack." I hear Michael chuckle.

"Where's my wife and baby." Jack says through gritted teeth.

"We're about to eat dinner, so maybe if you could stop by in like- I don't know- twenty minutes?" Michael asks and I stifle a laugh that's threatening to come out.

"Do you think this is funny? You're gonna be the go-to guy. You're always gonna be just that to them."

"Oh, I'm fine with that. I'm sure you thought that I'd be expecting more, but I'm not that kind of guy."

I smile to myself a little at his words. I never thought of him as that type of guy anyway. One who would replace Jack right away. He's just been extremely helpful.

"You're just trying to take them from me. Being all nice and helping them. You're not her fucking husband. You're not the one who they should be depending on. Your DNA isn't in Peyton's blood." Jack seethes.

"I'm sure that after you both talk, you're not going to be her husband. You're not gonna be the one she's depending on. Anymore."

"You fucking dick." Jack breaths and I hear the sudden slap of skin, making my eyes widen.

I come around the corner and Michael regains his balance. My mouth gapes open. As I predicted, Jack made the first hit. He's always the one to.

"Camila." Jack looks over to me and I step back with Peyton.

That fucking monster. He has bags under his eyes, his hair is all messed up. He deserves everything bad that comes to him.

"You need to leave." I lift my chin to hold my head high.

I'm not going to give him the satisfaction that I'm still a little miserable. I'm supposed to play him into thinking that I'm more than fine without him. Peyton tries to wiggle out of my arms, wanting to go to Jack.

"I've been looking for you." He grits his teeth, he steps in and Michael stands beside me in a protective way. "Out of all places, you're here."

"Wasn't really unexpected." I tell him. "This should've been the first place you checked."

When I say that, he narrows his eyes at me. I can't tell if he's sorry or if he's angry.

"Come home." His voice is strong and demanding.

"To hell like I'm going 'home'." I quote. "That is not my home anymore. You are not my husband anymore."

"Don't you dare file for divorce." His eyes flare with anger.

"Who wants to stay with a cheater? No one deserves that." I point out. "I deserve better."

"And you think this guy is going to give you better?" He seethes.

I never said anything about Michael being the one to give me better. He's just crazy at assuming things.

What about what I deserve?" Jack asks and I want to burst out into laughter.

"See..." I start. "The thing is, I used to care about what you deserve. That was until I saw you sticking your tongue down some other girls throat."

{vote, comment, share}