Nine

June 23rd, 2020

As I place Michael's glass cups and plates in the cupboard and while he's putting all of the silverware in the drawers, he speaks up.

"Remember when I didn't stay for you birthday that one time? I'm really sorry and I feel like I should make it up to you, you know?" He says and I slowly turn to look at him. I know your birthday is coming up soon." He smiles.

I shake my head while smiling too, "you don't have to get me a single thing or do anything. That's super kind of you, but I understand that you couldn't stay."

"But now I have money and I live in California next to you. Might as well do it because it's the perfect timing."

"My birthday is July 28th." I tell him, my eyes drooping. "It's not even close to coming up."

"It'll be here before you know it."

I cringe as I think about turning 26. I'm getting so old and what am I doing with my life? I finished college and I'm trying for my second child. I don't even have a job. I don't have time for one and my husband won't let me get one.

Michael sighs, falling down into a chair and I laugh while leaning my back against a counter. We both make brief eye contact.

"Unpacking is so tiring." He whines. "Can we go get Buffalo Wild Wings or something?" He asks and I nod my head enthusiastically.

"That sounds so good right now." I say.

"Ask Jack if he wants to go." Michael tells me and I shake my head, fiddling with my fingers.

"He doesn't really like going out to eat and those places. He likes fancy places that are overpriced and only have five things on the menu." I inform him and a chuckle escapes his lips.

"Explains yesterday night when we went out to eat at that really expensive place. It's like he what's to flaunt his money."

"Tell me about it." I whistle through my teeth.

It's that and he likes expensive and luxurious things.

"What about Peyton?"

"Peyton's with my parents for the weekend." I respond.

"Okay, just us I guess." He smiles, shrugging his shoulders.

I nod my head, standing myself up, "I'm gonna go get my purse." I say.

"Don't worry." He stops me. "It's on me."

"No, really. I can-"

"Camila, I got it." He laughs and I give him a small smile.

"Thank you."

"We have the same car, but mines white." I tell him.

"I wanted a white one, but I don't look good in white cars." He makes up an excuse and i playfully shove him.

"Oh whatever."

"I do!" He exclaims. "Examine my outfit. I'm wearing pretty much all black."

"But black and white go together." I tell him, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

He opens the door for me and I thank him again. I keep thanking him because he's so kind and polite. I'm starting to grow fond of having my best friend live next door to me.

"Any requests for songs?" He asks me.

"Okay whatever you listen to at work." I joke.

"Slow piano music which makes me fall asleep while I'm performing surgery." He shakes his head.

"You can help me deliver my next baby!" I gasp.

"I'm a surgeon, not a doctor that helps give birth." He laughs as he drives off to Buffalo Wild Wings.

"Then you can help me if I need a new kidney some day when I'm old." I mock a person with a cane.

He laughs, "I miss being around you." He tells me. "You're fun."

I put my hand on my heart dramatically, "why thank you. Back at you."

We soon arrive at the busy restaurant, but are seated immediately. Michael gets a beer and I start away from alcohol. I am trying to get pregnant. We decide on sharing wings and buffalo chips.

"So how is it, you know, living with Jack these past five years." Michael asks me and I'm surprised that he wants to talk about Jack.

"It's... Good." I semi-lie. "He's always busy and distant."

"Well, if you're every lonely, I live right next door." Michael leans over he table, whispering and I laugh.

"I know and I'm so grateful for that. How did you even hear about that house? It's been for sale for months."

"Google has everything." He takes a swig of his beer.

We talk on and off about random things. I ranted a lot and complained, but he kept up with me. He also ranted a little, but as of now, things between us are good. I genuinely did miss having him around.

{vote, comment, share}