Twenty Three

July 29th, 2020

My eyes fly open from sleep when I feel a sickening feeling in my stomach. I dart to the bathroom and hurl over the toilet bowling a seconds time.

Oh no. That's not good.

All you can hear is my roaring and gagging. The door suddenly swings open.

"Oh my god." I hear Jack's voice and then his hand is in my hair to create a makeshift ponytail.

I continue to throw up until it's just dry heaves left. I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand and get up to wash my hand and mouth at the sink.

"What was that?" Jack asks me, concern laced in his voice.

"I-I don't know." I stutter, suddenly scared.

"Did you drink last night?" He questions and I freeze in my spot.

Holy fuck. I forgot about that.

"What the fuck, Camila! I thought you were joking!" He bangs his fist on the bathroom counter which makes me jump. "You can't drink when you're pregnant! Theres two of you now." He raises his voice, not caring if he'd wake Peyton up.

"I know that, but I forgot." I say in breathless whisper, shaking my head. "I'm sor-"

I cut myself off before saying I'm sorry. He doesn't deserve my apologies.

"How the hell do you forget?" He angrily spits, a vein popping out of his neck. "Do you not want to have this baby?"

Tears start to form in my eyes because I'm overwhelmed. He's shouting at me and everything's just hitting me like a tidal wave. I wasn't trying to kill the baby. It wasn't in my intentions.

I was just having such a good time last night... I got lost. But Michael! He shouldn't have ordered me the alcoholic beverage in the first place.

"Jesus Christ, I'm going to fucking kill Michael." He runs a hand through his hair and my eyes widen.

"No, no it's not his fault. It was completely my fault for drinking in the first place." I semi-lie just to save Michael's ass.

"You're so irresponsible." He grits and I look at him bewildered.

Excuse me.

"I'm irresponsible?" I emphasize and he nods his head, not seeming regretful of his words. "You're right. I am irresponsible. I didn't raise my son alone at all."

He shakes his head in disappointment and exits the bathroom. Why does his thought of me bother me so much. I don't want to disappoint him, but he's let me down many times.

I walk back into the guest bedroom and Jack shortly returns with a tall glass of water. I look up at him super confused.

"Drink."

"Don't tell me what to do." I snap and I swear I see his lips curl into a small smile, but it's dark and what do I know?

"I'm going to be monitoring you from now on. At least until my baby comes." He tells me and my eyes widen.

"I'm responsible, Jack."

"No, you're not. I'm going to make sure you go nowhere near Michael."

I set my cup down and make strong and bold eye contact with him.

"Why?"

"Why what-"

I cut him off, "why did you- all of a sudden- become so controlling?"

"I don't like him near you. He has the hots for you and you're to oblivious to see it."

"So what if he has the 'hots for me'?" I mock. "He literally friend zoned me yesterday." I mutter. "Wait, where'd you put the dog?"

"In my room." Jack replies and I look down at the bed sheets.

"I thought you didn't want it in your house." I snap.

"You made a point yesterday. It's your house too." He emphasizes. "I grew up with a dog and loved it. I want the same for our children too."

He takes a brave step forward, alarming me a little. I do and I don't want him to come closer to me.

"Jack, stop. I don't want to be bothered. I just want to go back to sleep." I lamely tell him, but my heart beats begin to increase.

"But you're fine, right? You don't feel like you're going to throw up the baby anytime soon?" He asks me with a worried expression.

"I'm fine, Jack." I mutter, lying back down onto the bed, not bothering to thank him.

*

I wake once again, except this time, I feel much better and it's daylight outside. I move around in the bed and feel skin on skin contact.

"Good morning." I hear Jack's raspy voice say.

"What the hell did I tell you before?" I scold. "I don't want you sleeping with me."

"You weren't feeling good last night, I know you lied to me and I wasn't gonna leave you alone." He informs me. "I wanted to be here just in case you woke up again feel nauseous."

I press my lips together to refrain me from spitting some curse words at him. I'm trying not to go completely ballistic because it's not good for me to be stressing while I'm pregnant.

"I'm trying to help, Camila. I don't want you angry all of the time." He softly tells me.

"I wouldn't be if you weren't always around me." I retort and he props his head up with his right arm.

"You're so difficult-"

"So I've been told." I snap.

I shake my head to try and clear off my thoughts. I should stop overthinking and stop stressing. Just ignore Jack and act like he's not here...

{vote, comment, share}

I read your comments on every chapter and that's how I determine what to write. So pretty much you guys choose how this book goes.