Fifteen

June 26th, 2020

My phone won't stop ringing and buzzing with texts, phone calls, and voicemails from Jack. I'm sick of him. Peyton and I have gotten settled at Michael's place because it was extremely close and it was the only place we could really go. Nearby.

I've left all of my credit cards and everything that Jack has pretty much bought for me, there. Some things at I bought with my own money, I brought with me. I look around in my backpack, groaning.

Michael notices, "you okay?" He asks me and I want to glare at him. "Bad question, I'm sorry." He apologizes right away.

"I forgot the stupid diapers!" I raise my voice.

I have a good half an hour before Peyton wakes up from his nap and I need to buy some diapers.

"Do you mind if I borrow some money for diapers?" I plead. "I promise I'll pay you back after I find a job or something."

I just realized how broke I am without Jack. He never let me get a job.

"Of course, of course." Michael rushes, taking out his wallet and he pulls out a fifty dollar bill. "Don't worry about paying me back."

"I know I'm probably asking for too much-"

"Never."

"Would you mind watching him while I go and get more diapers?" I ask.

"No problem." He smiles at me with reassurance. "Here, you're gonna need this." He tosses me his car keys.

"Lifesaver." I breathe. "Thank you."

I tie my hair up into a quick ponytail and then rush out of the door and drive to target. I put my phone on silent and I'm about ready to block Jack's phone number. That cheating and lying bastard.

I'm in and out of the store like a lightning bolt, trying to make it back to Michael's before my son wakes up. Peyton is going nowhere near Jack anymore and I'll make sure of it. I stride back into the large house and Michael is laying on the floor, playing with Peyton.

My lips curl into a smile at the sight. The crinkling of the plastic bags captures both of their attentions and Peyton squeals, wobbling towards me.

"That was fast." Michael chuckles.

"I know, but I felt like I took too long. He didn't cry, did he?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"He was being a good boy." Michael grins. "He was trying to spit out a word, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it."

"It was probably Oreo." I laugh, opening up the bags.

I take out the little pack of mini Oreos I bought as well as the diapers. I give Peyton one to distract him as I quickly change a diaper. Michael looks away which makes me laugh.

"Okay, don't be so dramatic." I tell him. "He has the same body parts as you."

"Yeah..." Michael drags out. "But I never changed a diaper before... It's weird."

My eyebrows raise, "you've never changed a baby's diaper? Not even your siblings?"

"I'm the youngest of the four." He informs me. "I didn't dare to go near any of their stinky babies either."

I smile, shaking my head, "I would tell you to change Peyton's diaper, but let's not go too fast, yeah?"

He grins at me as he watches me change the diaper. I lift Peyton back up and set him to his feet so he can continue to walk.

"You're a good mom, you know." Michael blurts, making me look at him.

"Thank you."

"Were you... Prepared? For all of this motherhood?" He asks me.

"I was definitely prepared." I nod my head. "I just wasn't prepared to do it alone."

His lips twist in sadness and anger, "Jack is such a dumbass."

"Tell me about it." I sigh.

"You and Peyton can stay here as long as you guys need to. I would've thought that you'd go to your parents house or something." He shrugs.

"I wanted to leave my car, not even my car, here and it would've been weird packing so much in a tiny uber."

"True... But I'm glad you're here." Michael flashes me a smile. "You guys keep me company."

June 28th, 2020

It's been two days since I last saw Jack and I'm still getting over him. It's been hard, but it's not something I can't pass over. All of these emotions are flying, but it feels like Michael is keeping me grounded.

You would think that by now, knowing Jack, he's stop trying to contact me, but he hasn't. He calls literally every minute and I don't acknowledge him. He doesn't deserve my time.

"Rise and shine." Michael says to me as I lazily walk into the kitchen.

"Where's Peyton?" I ask him, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

I probably look like a monster right now. Baggy sleep attire, my hair tied up, and with no makeup on.

"He's still sleeping." Michael replies and my eyes widen.

"What!" I exclaim. "That's gonna mess up his whole sleeping-"

And then he starts laughing. I pull my eyebrows together. Does he think this is funny because it's not. The outcome is going to be so bad. Screaming and crying baby the entire night.

"He's playing in the living room." Michael laughs hysterically.

"I hate you." I mutter, narrowing my eyes.

His bright teeth glimmer from smiling, "I got him when he woke up, so you didn't get disturbed."

I take a seat at the table and Michael hands me a plate of breakfast.

"You spoil me here." I groan.

"What do you want me to do? Leave you starving?" He jokes and I shake my head.

"I can't thank you enough."

{vote, comment, share}