Thirteen

June 25th, 2020

After putting Peyton down to bed, I go and check to see if Jack's already asleep. After having to go 'shower', he only came back down once to eat. The topic of Michael must've actually upset him.

I quietly and subtly knock on the door and open it slowly. I don't have to wait for his response because it's my room too. He's lying in bed, his eyebrows pulled together as he concentrates on his phone screen.

"Hi." I softly say, shutting the door behind me.

"Hi, baby." He murmurs and my stomach instantly fills with butterflies.

I guess he isn't mad if he called me baby.

"What are you doing?" I purse my lips to the side, heading towards the closet to find pajamas.

"Just talking to people." He shrugs and I nod.

He doesn't make eye contact with me at all, but he seems so chill about this conversation. It doesn't make me grow suspicious or skeptical, just confused and curious.

I quickly change into something comfortable and crawl into bed, eat to him. I keep my distance and just wait for him to make the first move because I don't want to seem so clingy.

Closing my eyes, I stay patient. He's bound to put his arm around me sometime. Before we sleep at least. I reach over to my nightstand, grabbing my own phone. Lately, I haven't really been checking my phone often. At all.

I've been busy. Being a housewife and a mother. Even when Peyton stayed with my parents, I didn't check my phone. Now that I am, messages start to flood the lock screen. That specific group chat I was in five years ago, is still going very strong.

[jason] lettuce come over

[lyss] you're so stupid this is why you're still single

[dylan] you're single too

[chase] none of you are married though!!!!!!

[cody] um camila is and she's married and ahead of the game

[jason] shut up camila can we come over

[camila] what? Right now? I'm about to go to sleep.

[jason] fine be lame

Rolling my eyes at his childishness, I roll over to face Jack. When I do, his eyes are closed. He's asleep already? I would've known if he was asleep because he snores a little.

[camila] come over I'm bored anyway

I reply to them. I was really hoping to have a short conversation with Jack at least. Not just a few words. More like a few minutes.

[lyss] yay

The rest of my friends reply, telling me they're on their way and I get off of the bed to change back into my clothing I wore today. There's no one to impress.

*

After the crew had arrived, we all decided to just watch a movie. I sit in between Lyss and Dylan. Lyss is practically curled up next to me because it's a horror movie. I'm not a big fan of horror movies either.

Halfway of it is down and the lights suddenly flicker, causing a squeal to erupt from Alyssa's mouth.

"Shut up!" I scold. "My baby is sleeping."

Don't know whether I'm referring to Peyton or Jack.

"What are you guys doing in my house?" Jack yawns, rubbing his eyes.

"Morning, Jack." Lyss sarcastically says.

"Camila let us come over." Chase tells him, his arm around Angelina.

Surprised they're still together, but then again, why wouldn't they be? I doubt that they fight as much as me and Jack. Jack's eyes divert to me and there's a hidden scowl behind his expression.

"I was bored." I shrug, pursing my lips afterwards.

"When the movies done, go home." He tells every, being a lousy buzzkill.

"Yes, sir!" Lyss laughs.

He narrows and rolls his eyes at her, tired of her sarcasm.

"Camila." His low voice speaks, making my gaze move up to him.

He motions me to go and talk to him. I follow him into a separate room, wondering why he won't just go back to sleep. He crosses his arms over his chest and I know this might end up in an argument.

"Why did you let them come over?" He asks. "And don't use that 'I was bored' excuse again."

"They wanted to and I had nothing to do." I shrug, rewording.

"They were being a little loud. Our son is awake upstairs!" He scolds. "Were your intentions to wake him up too?!"

"No, of course not!" I reply. "We weren't even being loud. We were just watching a movie. Admit it, you came down here because I wasn't in bed next to you." I smirk and he rolls his eyes for the second time.

"Go and get rid of them. Then come back in bed with me." He grumbles, walking away.

Not wanting to upset him further, I do as told. I feel sudden giddiness take over my body. Maybe because he wants me to be next to him while he sleeps? Whatever it is, it makes me happy.

I return back into the movie room, taking in a deep breath.

"You guys need to go. I need sleep." I tell him, leaving out that Jack wanted them to leave because I don't want my friends and Jack to hate each other.

"Poop. You're so lame." Jason complains.

"I agree with him." Dylan points out, still eating popcorn.

"Come back tomorrow and we can finish the movie." I tell them. "We can have the whole day and I can just ask Jack to take Peyton out somewhere."

They nod their heads and gather their this. After saying goodbye to everyone and apologizing, I lock the door behind them. I make my way back up the numerous flights of stairs, turning off the lights as I go.

When I reach mine and Jack's room, he looking towards the door, looking at me like he was expecting me to come up. I'm not whipped, I swear.

"I'm here." I unenthusiastically wave my hands. "What now?"

"Sleep with me." Jack murmurs. "What else?"

I tell him to give me a second and then I change into pajamas for the second time today. Though, this time, I'll actually be going to sleep. Jack opens up the sheets for me and I lay down beside him. His muscular arms engulf my body right away.

I love him embracing me like this.

"Want to talk or sleep?" I ask.

"Sleep." He lazily replies.

"Okay." I whisper. "Love you, goodnight."

"I love you, too, baby."

{vote, comment, share}

the key to writing a successful book is to use good words!1!!11 they don't want you to have good writing skill!1!!1