Twenty Two

THE CAKE HAHAHHAHA

July 28th, 2020

I woke up extremely early and made myself look pretty today. I tried. The only reason I tried was because Michael said he was taking me out somewhere today for my birthday. I haven't been this excited in ages.

Jack doesn't know about the whole set-up, so I need someone to babysit Peyton last minute. If I tell Jack where I'm going, he'll go apeshit and I really don't need that from him today or I could just drop a last minute bomb on him.

He's not going to ruin my day. My one day off of the entire year to just make it all about myself.

I finish up on applying my liquid eyeliner into a wing form, fixing whatever gets ugly or out of hand, and I make sure my highlight is on point before walking down the flights of stairs.

I check my phone on the way down and smile as I read the texts, i message back a 'thank you' to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. My group chat flooded with birthday songs and recordings.

I gradually go lower down the stairs, I hear some giggling and shushes coming from the two boys whom I live with.

"Mommy's gonna come down any minute. You have to be quiet, bud." I hear Jack playfully whisper and shush.

I suppress my smile and continue onward with my journey. When I reach the kitchen, they're nowhere to be seen and it's like they vanished completely. My eyebrows pull together as I step closer to the marble kitchen island. I swear I heard them in here.

There's a hot pink colored cake that says if you're reading this happy birthday. I smile a little at that because I have to admit, this is clever and funny. Especially Drake's face plastered right on it. (Pretend the album isn't old in this story)

"Happy birthday, missy." I feel a hot breath in my ear, causing me to flinch as an instinctive reflex.

"Jack, you scared me." I put my hand over my heart, trying to slow down the rapid beating by taking deep breaths. "You bought this?" I ask him.

He gives me a shy smile, "who else would have?" He grins.

"Thank you." I murmur and look back down at the cake.

The air around us feel so awkward and I want noting more than to escape it.

"No hug at least? Damn..." Jack's voice trails off.

I bite the top of my lip and nervously trace the marbled pattern on the floor. He did buy me a cake, maybe just a quick and short hug? Not even full arms wrapped around? No. I can't give in. I have to stand my ground and be a little bitch.

I then look back up and hold my arms out to grab Peyton, but Jack takes one step back. Is he going to keep doing that when I want to hold my child?

"Ah, ah, ah I have something else for you." He tells me suddenly, making me look up at him like he's the craziest person I've ever met.

Which he is.

"Why are you doing this?" My voice just above a whisper. "You don't have to-"

"Of course I do." He cuts me off and emphasizes. "You're my wife and it's your special day."

I blink and comprehend what he just said. Damn it. I am still his wife. He disappears for a second and comes back with Peyton in his arms and some bright orange boxes. Boxes that I distinctly remember.

He gave me some Hermes things once on my twenty first birthday, but usually, everything's always been Cartier this, Cartier that. My eyes widen at the actual amount of boxes there are.