Chapter Five - Mr. Brightside

Picture of Bella on the side >>>>>>>>>>>

Note: I really love the song of this chapter!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Five – Mr. Brightside

"Started out with a kiss,

How did it end up like this

It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss."

The Killers 

            It was Friday night and everything I'd like to do was to get out of work and have a nice night with movies and a glass of wine. Lonely, I know, but sometimes I found it necessary to spend some time alone and think about life.

            I've been working on a new project presentation to show in the board meeting the next week and it was almost ready. I've had already sent part of it to Lucas and was planning to plant the idea of expanding the company but for that I would have to show a lot of graphs and statistics. My job in England wasn't half as difficult as it is here.

            It was past 9pm when I finally was able to shut down my computer and start packing my stuff to go home. But then everything went dark and I had to go out of my office to check what had happened.

            "Oh. You're still here." I heard Lucas say in front of the elevator. He should be the one who turned all the lights off.

            "I am." I told him. Since our little talk about the kiss in the elevator, we've tried hard to avoid each other. With days it became easier since there was always someone near us when we saw each other. And whenever I had to talk to him I did it by email.

            But being alone in the dark here at the office was different. I could only see his shadow and even his shadowed figure looked hot. Damn him.

            Reaching for the interrupter, he switched the lights on and we stared at each other for a few seconds.

            "It's late. You should go home." He told me, almost in a whisper and I nodded.

            "I'm just gonna grab my stuff and then I'm leaving." I told him, coming back to my office to grab my briefcase and heading out.

            For my surprise, Lucas was still there standing in front of the elevator holding the door.

            "I was waiting for you." He said as if noticing I was surprised and motioned for me to get in. I did as he told and soon we were inside the elevator with that awkward silence surrounding us.

            "So, going out tonight?" He asked me, obviously trying to break the silence.

            "No..." I told him and shook my head.

            "I hope you're not getting too tired from work." He said and looked straight at me. The doors opened and I stepped out.

            The woman in the front desk looked at both me and Lucas as we got out. She looked quite surprised by seeing us together.

            "Goodnight, Mr. Farris." I told Lucas, making sure the woman heard my professional tone towards Lucas.

            "Goodnight Ms. Hirchiman." Lucas said in return and went through the door that lead to the parking lot of the company.