Chapter Twenty Three - When a Heart Breaks

Hardest chapter to write EVER !!

I don't even know how I'm capable of posting this chapter, really... I even cried a little writing it so... yes, it was hard.

But I'll let you have your own opinions.

So, here's the chapter!

--------------------------------

Chapter Twenty Three – When a Heart Breaks

"I heard the doctor

But what did he say

I knew I was fine about this time yesterday

I don't need answers

I just need some peace

I just need someone who could help me get some sleep

This isn't easy

This isn't clear."

Ben Rector

It has passed one day since I was in the hospital with Gabi and I still couldn't believe this actually happened to her. When Lucas and I arrived here the doctors were coming out from the OR but Gabi was still unconscious.

RJ, her boyfriend, was freaked out too and I don't how or why, but at the moment we saw each other I knew he was the right one for my sister. I just wished she would survive to stay with him.

I never thought I would feel the same way as I did when my parents and Jonah died, but I was wrong and I don't know if I would be able to handle the pain all over again if something happened to Gabi.

She was my sister and my only family. I needed her and I'll never stop needing her.

"Ms. Hirchiman." The nurse called me and I raised my head that was facing the ground. "Your sister wants to see you." The woman said and a wave of relief washed over me.

I felt Lucas loosen his grip on my shoulders and sigh. He was holding me close to him since we got out of the airplane and I don't think I would have made this far if it wasn't for him by my side.

"I'll wait outside." Luke told me and I got up from the chair in the waiting corridor. As much as I wanted to see Gabi and make sure she was fine like the doctors said, I dreaded the moment I entered her room. For so many days she was in a hospital just like this one, years ago, and I didn't want to relive this.

But I had to. For her. So I opened the door and when I closed it behind me, turning to look at her, I felt my eyes filling with tears.

She looked pale and there were stitches on her forehead and chin. I couldn't see her torso or her legs because there was a blanket covering it, but I knew it wouldn't look pretty. She went through a backbone surgery and even though the doctors told me there were no complications, I knew it wasn't easy.

"Hey." Gabi greeted me in a weak tone and I stepped closer to her bed. "You didn't have to come this far, sis." She said and I shook my head violently.

"I had to." I told her, trying not to cry. "How are you feeling?"

"Groggy. But fine." Gabi answered and managed to plaster a small smile on her face. I couldn't imagine how she made it look so easy.

"I can't believe I wasn't here." I closed my eyes, still feeling the guilt of not being there to protect her. If only I was there, I wouldn't have let her take the car alone at night.

From what RJ told me, they were supposed to meet at some restaurant. He said he would drop by to pick her up so they could go together, but she refused and said it would be out of hand for him to go all the way to her house.