Chapter Seven - You Got Me

Picture of Bella on the side >>>>>>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seven – You Got Me

"I think I felt my heart skip a beat

I'm standing here and I can hardly breathe

You got me, yeah, you got me."

Colbie Caillat

            After I closed the door and lead him to the kitchen, where I thought would be easier not to end up jumping him, we sat on the booths of my kitchen stand.

            "Would you like something to drink?" I asked him, trying to delay the talk.

            "No, thanks." He said, looking down for a moment before gazing up at me.

            There was something I was meaning to ask him but didn't have the courage to. But as we were here to talk and I've drank a few beers, I felt like it was the right time. "Did you mean it? When you told me you wouldn't have kicked me out?" I asked, all of a sudden. The memory of him going to my office a few weeks before and saying that before leaving passed through my mind.

            "Do you still keep the idea that I thought you are some kind of a slut?" Lucas asked, looking surprised, almost amused.

            "Come on, why wouldn't you?" I reasoned. I couldn't see any good girl going to a stranger's house, having sex with the guy and leaving before he wakes up.

            "I don't know. But this idea never crossed my mind." He said sounding honestly enough, emphasizing the 'never'. I smiled at his answer and ran my hands through my hair slowly. "That doesn't mean I didn't wonder why you left, though." He added when I didn't say anything.

            "What exactly did you wonder, then?" I asked, deciding I couldn't have this conversation without drinking and getting up to grab two bottles of beer.

            "That you've received an emergency call telling you that your dog died. Or that you went to the bakery shop to buy some food cause my fridge was completely empty." I couldn't help my laugh from echoing while hearing his presumptions. I couldn't tell if he was just making it up or if he was telling the truth, but either way, it loosened up the mood.

            I handed him a bottle of beer and sat back on the booth.

            "You didn't think I went to the bakery, did you?" I asked him and he nodded, almost ashamed. "And I hate dogs, just so you know." I told him and he laughed.

            "Really? Why would you hate dogs?" Lucas asked me, shocked. He had this really cute expression like he couldn't believe I've just said that and my mind started relieving memories I didn't want to think about.

            "I don't actually hate them... It's just, I don't like them anymore." I tried to explain without giving much detail but my voice came out shaken. Even so many years after what happened, it was still hard to talk about this, even though I've moved on.

            Realizing I wasn't laughing anymore, Lucas placed a hand on mine and the warmth of his touch comforted me. "I don't think this is just about dogs... But you don't have to talk about it." He told me and I nodded, feeling the sincerity of his voice.

            "Thanks." I told him and shook my head. "Now back to your presumptions. That was all you could think, really?" I asked him, already feeling way better.