Chapter Twenty Six - I Almost Do

Picture of Lucas on the side >>>>>>

-------------------------

Chapter Twenty Six - I Almost Do

"And I just want to tell you

It takes everything in me not to call you

And I wish I could runt to you

and I hope you know that

Every time I don't, I almost do

I bet this time of night you're still up

I bet you're tired from a long hard week

I bet you're sitting in your chair by the window

looking out in the city

And I hope sometimes you wonder about me"

Taylor Swift

"I'll be fine, I promise!" I insisted as Gabi looked at me trying to read my expression to see if I was being honest.

"Are you sure?" She asked me for hundredth time and I gasped. "I mean, it's your birthday tomorrow. You hate being alone in your birthday." My sister reasoned and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm no longer fifteen years old, Gabi." I answered and dropped myself on the couch. She was staying in RJ's apartment for the Saturday now that she's better. "Go have fun with your boyfriend. I'll stay here and order something to eat." Gabi sighed in defeat and I smiled.

"Fine!" She raised her hands in the air. And then, hesitantly, she left the apartment.

I didn't lie when I said I was fine staying home alone. Actually, that's the thing I've been doing the most lately. At least I'm not crying so much anymore, though I really think there are no tears left behind in me.

The apartment was completely quiet. Gabi was with RJ and Kelsey had gone out for the night with some friends. Knowing I would stay by myself, I decided it was a good time to call the company and arrange my official resignation.

I didn't have the guts to call him, though, so I phoned Peter instead. He was actually the first one I met there and the one who interviewed me so it made a least a bit of sense.

"Bella? Hey!" Peter answered the phone, obviously surprised with my call. I felt my heart beat a little faster just knowing he could be near Lucas right now.

"Hm... Hi... Peter. How are you?" I asked and closed my eyes trying to think clearly.

"Great. What about you? I've heard you're settled in London now." Peter answered and I could sense in his voice a little bit of hesitation but didn't understand.

"Yes. I... I'm here with my sister." I told him and sighed. "Actually, I called to ask about my resignation letter. I know it's been more than a month now but... I wasn't ready, I couldn't call yet. You know, I've been busy." I didn't know why I was trying to make excuses and explanations but I couldn't help it.

"It's okay, Bella. I heard about your sister. Is she alright now?" Peter asked me and I was glad he changed subjects.

"Yes, she's fine. Thanks for asking." I answered him and for an instant the line was silent. "So, I'm gonna send you my documents and everything you'll need first thing Monday, is that okay?" I asked. It felt strange to quit the company. I don't think I ever felt so good at one place like I did there. I could remember the nights I stayed there after work and didn't even realize I was doing extra hours. It was all so easy and peaceful.