Chapter Eight - Gravity

Picture of Gabi (Bella's sister) on the side >>>>>>>>>>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eight – Gravity

"It's wanting more

That's gonna send me to my knees."

John Mayer

            I heard my phone ringing beside me and groaned in frustration. How could it be morning already?

            Without opening my eyes, I grabbed the cellphone on the nightstand and tried to turn the alarm off but then realized it wasn't the alarm. I had to open my eyes and look at the screen.

            Gabi! I read and groaned once more.

            "Hi." I answered and cleared my throat, sensing my voice coming out still rough from the sleep.

            "Oh. I woke you up, didn't I?" Gabi asked me, as if she didn't know the answer and I nodded, even though she couldn't see me.

            "I would have to get up in five, so it's no trouble." I told her and forced myself to sit down on the bed.

            "Sorry." She apologized. "So, how's everything in there?" Gabi asked, completely excited, making me wonder if she was really my sister. There was no way someone so enthusiastic in the morning could be related to me.

            "It's been great so far." I told her truthfully but already knew this answer wouldn't be enough. "The job Mr. Bradly arranged for me is great for me and Carol and I are hanging out a lot..." I tried to elaborate but my morning intelligence could only go so far.

            "Have you met anyone??" Gabi asked and I could sense the hope in her voice. For a second or two my mind wondered to Lucas but I blamed it on the morning dumbness.

            "I've met a lot of people in the company, yes." I answered, even though I knew that wasn't the answer my sister was looking for.

            "Oh, come on! I want nephews! Soon!" She cried and I laughed at her stupid statement.

            "Please don't go there.." I pleaded, placing my hand on my head. "Now what about you? How are you doing?" I changed subjects, hoping she wouldn't say anything else.

            "I'm moving to London!" She shouted and I had to pull the phone away from my ear for a moment. "I'm going on the weekend and I have everything settled. Kelsey is moving in with me and it's gonna be perfect!" Gabi told me and I smiled, glad that she was happy.

            "And college?" I asked.

            "I'm so excited!" Gabi said and I found it strange that she didn't ramble about it.

            "Okay, what are you hiding?" I asked more in an over-protective-sister tone and she sighed, as if preparing to tell me something.

             "Fine, I'll tell you." Gabi finally said and I raised my eyebrows, waiting. "I-met-a-guy." She blurted out and I laughed in relief. I was expecting something way worse. And it wasn't as if my little sister hadn't met anyone before. "Don't laugh!" She complained and I closed my mouth, trying to stop.

            "Do you like him?" I asked after a moment.

            "I do..." She said in a whisper and I shook my head. My sister was incorrigible.