Chapter 20

"Katherine it's twelve you need to get up. Your big recital is today." Opening my red I stare into the eyes of Amelia. I've barely gotten any sleep since I came home last night.

As soon as I walked in the house my mother hugged me while my father yelled. They had everyone searching for me, even the police. Thankfully it was late at night so no one knew about it.

"You gave us such a scare last night. We all feared the worst. We thought you were gone again." Maybe I should just disappear. Make life easier for everyone. "Well Miss. Clara you have to get up for your big show." I don't know how but I scored the roll as Clara in the Nutcracker. My dance teacher says I put so much emotion into my dances that I was the perfect candidate.

As soon as I'm dressed in my tights and leotard with a baggy shirt and sweats over it I head to the car waiting outside for me. Dad has banned me from driving myself around for a while.

Arriving at the theater I enter threw the front to see them already practicing.

"Everyone stop!" Miss. Yells walking into the stage. "You're all over the place. Do we need to go over spots again!" She yells.

"No." They all reply as I walk closer to the stage.

"Good than lets restart this then. From the top." The music starts over and the girls hit every mark perfectly. "Bravo now we just need to wait on Katherine." Miss. Says while looking at her phone.

"She's here." One of the girls point me out to her.

"Great Katherine get on her warm up then out your point shoes on. We're going to run the whole program." Doing as told I stretch out then put my point shoes on again stretching out. When I'm ready I join the other girls on the stage.

Striking my beginning pose I force a smile to look kid like. Miss. Picked me for this roll specifically because I'm an amazing dancer and I look so young. She's said many times that I look like a innocent child. Which everyone knows was taken away from me.

One of the hardest parts of this dance is having to dance with a male. I am not comfortable at all but Miss. of course was able to come threw. She found a dancer that I was comfortable with. He is nineteen and Russian. From the Russian convoy that we are dancing with and he is interested in men and not girls. During practice Miss. had him updated on my life story and ever since he's held me delicately and held me loose but still tight enough when he lifts me. Treating me like a delicate doll.

"That was great everyone take a break. You've all done well for the six hour practice, the show sill begin shortly after we let everyone in." And let the show begin. 

We all walk to the basement to our assigned dressing rooms. My first costume is a simple pure white dress that's child like. First I curl my hair then put half of it up and tie a pink ribbon around it. Putting on the dress, I make sure it's fits right then go in my bag to get my performance point shoes to find them missing. I swear I packed them this morning. Looking around I don't see them anywhere. Where could they be? Tearing my dressing too apart I find them under the chair. Slipping them on I go on plié and  relevé and come back down quickly.

These aren't my shoes. They aren't broken in.

"All dancers in the opening please report to the side stage." Crap what am I going to do? I can't dance in shoes that are to broken in right and not fitted to me feet. That's what gives you blisters and causes your feet to bleed.

"Katherine your need on the stage." A stage worker comes and grabs me pulling me to the stage. "I've got her." She yells pulling me to miss.

"Okay your on go." Walking on stage I hit my first pose and stand like that. The stage is set with a Christmas tree and presents around it sitting by a fire place and a chair.