Chapter 29

Malcolm had pushed me to the ground making my head throb as my ears ring. More brain damage is just what I need. Sitting up I see Malcolm on the ground bleeding out from bullet wounds all over his body. Is he dead? Could my nightmare officially be over?

"Miss are you okay." A man leans down I front of me shining a light in my eyes. "We need an ambulance over here," he yells turning to the paramedics on the scene.

"I'm fine." I tell him as I'm wrapped in a blanket. Malcolm hasn't made a move. Not a single twitch.

"We need to get you checked out. We think you might have head damage." Standing up my legs fall out from under me. "Okay we've got you." The paramedic pics me and I'm loaded in the ambulance.

"Ma'am does your head hurt at all?" I nod my head as everything goes blurry. "She's crashing!" I close my eyes as everything goes black.

"Can you hear me? Squeeze my hand if you can." Opening my eyes I see a doctor standing over me. "That's good. Move your limbs one at a time for me." Doing as he says I move my arms first and my legs. "That's good. It seems as if everything is okay." He writes something down on his clipboard.

"We've done test while you were in your coma and everything seems to be fine. You had a cut on your head but that's healed in the month you were in here." A month? I've been out for a full month? Does that mean Malcolm has been dead for a full month?

"It's February?" I ask him in shock.

"Well early March." I've missed out on so much.

"Well you have some visitors that want to visit you. I'll be at my desk. If you need anything press this button right here." I watch him leave them in comes the herd, that I call a family.

"It's so good glad that your okay." Mom hugs me. "We were so scared you weren't going to make it." Mom sobs into my shoulder.

"I'm also sorry for yelling at you at the hospital." Landon grumbles.

"So how have you been?" Aubrey asks sitting beside means mom stands.

"Doctor says everything is fine." Aubrey hands me the cup of water noticing my voice cracking.

"You had us so scared when we got the call that they found your car totaled and your blood on the ground." Emma grabs my hand.

"You have a bump," I smile. I've missed out on her bump growing.

"Yeah I-"the door opens and in comes a man dressed in a suit.

"Hi I don't know if you remember me, but I was the detective that brought you in." I remember him he was the first one to get to me.

"Yeah I do." How could I forget. Looking around I notice one person missing. "Where's Julian?" Everyone looks at each other then Emma speaks up.

"He has to film a movie series in Saint Barts. He'll be their for a couple years." I guess that is the last straw. We are really over.

"Hey he wanted to be here, but the producer wouldn't push the movie back. They had to force him on the plane. Although I've been texting him all the details keeping him up to date." Emma smiles at me.

"Yes anyway I have come to tell you that Malcolm isn't dead, but we've put him in a high security prison. He will be their were he awaits trial." The detective tells us.

"Will he pay for what he did?" Dad asks.

"In the past evidence that would get Malcom the death penalty has gone missing. That's how he is able to get away with so many crimes. We have everything locked up in a secure place so we are sure their will be a trial." Freedom at last hopefully. It's no secret that Malcom has friends on the inside.

"Is that all? We would like to spend some family time together." Emma smiles at the detective while grabbing my brothers hand.

"We found pictures that he kept of you from five years ago. We also found pictures of a little girl kept in different files. We didn't have a name for a long time." He says.

"Who is this little girl?" Mom asks looking at me with tears in her eyes.

"We have been able to confirm that the child is your daughters child." He opens a file and hands it to me. There's dozens of pictures of her from her as a baby to now.

"You weren't lying." Dad looks at me in shock. Why would I lie about something like that? If they would have just believed me I wouldn't be in this situation. "We need to find her now." Dad looks at the detective.

"That's were we run into problems." What problems.

"What could be so hard in finding a little girl?" Dad yells.

"It seems as if the child was adopted legally. But the family was friends with Malcolm. We were on our way to inform the family when we got their the house was destroyed and the family had moved." You've got to be kidding me.

"So they are on the run?" Landon asks.

"We think they have changed their identity. We have no clue were they could be. They are off the grid." I may never get a chance to be with my daughter. "We are so sorry." The detective leaves the pictures with me and walks out of the room.

The next day I was released and all I could do was stare at the pictures. The name of my beautiful baby girl on the side of the file.

Winter.

No last name provided. Standing up I look out the balcony window. Maybe one day I'll be able to hold her in my arms.

My phone in my pocket goes off.

Julian Valdez hotel room is now a revolving door for women.

Locking my phone I breath in the fresh air.

Maybe life doesn't always have happy endings. Maybe this is just the way my story ends.

Last chapter comes next week!