Chapter Six : Pawns

Ajani Turner

I looked down at my shaky hands and took a deep breath trying to calm my nerves down. I was eighteen and I'd never been to a night club before but Yoli had talked me into coming in hopes that Kaine would be here because it was a club he frequented a lot with the group of men that he hung with and pushed drugs with.

"Yoli I'm not ready I can't do this. What if he sees me and doesn't want me anymore? What if I'm not what he remembered and he doesn't think I'm pretty?" I questioned placing my hand over my beating heart and my best friend placed both of her hands on my shoulders firmly.

"Ajani, calm down. You're beautiful and you look like a baddie in that dress I picked out. I wouldn't steer you wrong and if he's with another woman then she can catch the right hook, I'll go to jail" Yoli stated.

"It's not lady like to fight gyal. It's actually unattractive" Khan stated as he moved passed us through the crowed. Yoli eyed him in annoyance and for a second I half expected her to push him but she didn't she hooked her arms with me and we went over to the bar.

We weren't old enough to drink but that didn't stop her from getting another man to buy us something. Hearing a familiar deep voice I looked over my shoulder and locked eyes with a familiar dark skin man and Yoli rolled her eyes.

"Don't even pay him no mind. That's Harlem and Ciara is steady chasing behind him" Yoli commented. The mention of his name reminded me of somebody but it's been so long I could barely remember. But if I wasn't mistaken then he was the same bwoy who'd been good friends with both of my cousins.

Yoli picked up a tequila shot and downed it before making a face as she tilted her head back some. I watched Khan look at her and smirk before he focused on the crowed of people dancing and I shifted some.

My fadda agreed to let me come to New York but only if Khan came along and protected me. He didn't want me to get my heart broken but I told him this was what I wanted and I was going to go with or without his permission so he gave in.

"He is looking so right. Who is that?" A woman with short red hair commented as Yoli gasped and slapped my arm leaving a red mark. She pointed and I slowly turned around and spotted him and my heart stopped.

He'd grown a little taller but not by much. His hair had grown out a little more then the last time I'd seen him signaling he often trimmed it leaving it styled the same.

He wore all black and lots of jewelry paired off with a gray fur coat that hung off of his shoulders. Two bottles of champagne were held in his hands and a blunt hung from his lips as three woman hung to him and followed him throughout the club.

"That's Carlito Turner he's a big dealer and he just turned twenty. Everybody wants a piece of his sexy ass" another woman commented to the red head and I sunk into the counter and looked down before turning around loosing confidence.

"His name is Kaine" I said quietly to myself. Yoli made me look at her and when I did she was giving a disapproving look.

"Go catch up with him! Go get your future husband, I need to be a maid of honor!" Yoli said nudging me and I shook my head no and turned back facing the bar.

"I can't. There's too many people around the bwoy and I'm nothing compared to those women, I'd only embarrass myself" I said quietly as I picked up my glass of alcohol and sipped on it.