Chapter 6: The Gathering

Winterpaw was already up and about. She had woken up right at dawn and by sun-up she had caught three large rabbits, one mouse, and a vole. She was excited about her catch and was pleased when Rabbitstar announced that her and all her siblings where coming to the gathering, along with Blackpool, Toadleap, Poppyroot, Amberpelt, Crowsong, Redclaw, and of course the deputy, Weedbite and the leader Rabbitstar.

Rabbitstar quietly led the way out of the camp, cats silently following him. Winterpaw slowed down to walk next to Featherpaw.

"I wonder what will happen, since this is the first gathering we will ever go to!" Featherpaw exclaimed, eyes gleaming.

"I hope there is no trouble," Winterpaw meowed, not wanting a battle.

The cats continued walking until they got to the center of the forest. There was a big heap of rocks in the very middle that the leaders would stand on when they are sharing what happened in their clan that they want to share.

Winterpaw thought it would just be a small place but when she saw it, her eyeballs nearly popped out of her head. It was HUGE! The rockpile nearly touched the sky and the area around it was gigantic! If it got any bigger it could have been a lake!

The Rainclan cats quickly slipped into the area. Sunclan was already there and Cloudclan was there too. Now Darkclan was to come. The leaders all stood at the bottom of the rockpile, talking and making use of the time. Then, Sunclan's leader, Dawnstar, gave a loud yowl.

"Where is Darkclan? We are about to start!" Her voice cracked with age  but her spirit seemed strong. The Cloudclan leader, Shadowstar, quickly yowled the warning that meant the gathering was going to start.

Rabbitstar leaped on top of the rockpile and started talking.

"Rainclan has been doing good and prey has been plentiful. We also have three new apprentices, Featherpaw, Winterpaw, and Darkpaw!" All the clans cheered the names.

"Featherpaw! Winterpaw! Darkpaw!" They cheered.

Winterpaw felt like she would burst with pride.

Suddenly, a warning yowl sounded and the cats of Darkclan flooded into the area, hissing and staying as one clan, not letting any cat near. 

"Welcome Thornstar." Rabbitstar welcomed the leader and then continued.

"That is all the news that I have." Rabbitstar dipped his head to Thistlestar, who quickly took Rabbitstar's place on the rockpile as Rabbitstar leaped down.

"Prey stealers!" Thornstar hissed, ignoring the welcome Rabbitstar gave.

"We have scented all your clans scents on OUR territory! Need I remind you prey-stealers of the warrior code!" He screeched. Rabbitstar stood up tall.

"I don't know about the other clans, Thornstar,  but I know for sure that our clan has not been on your territory! If it was it was blown there by the wind!" Rabbitstar protested, eyes full of rage. But Thornstar wasn't giving up.

"Oh, but we have seen what everyone hunted!" Thornstar growled with an angry gleam in his eye.

"Rabbitstar, your clan was hunting rabbits! There was the scent of two recently caught rabbits and some of the blood was left from the hunting!" Winterpaw couldn't believe what she was hearing. She had caught two rabbits close to the border! Or did she stray across the border without noticing?

Then, Firepaw approached Winterpaw, purring quietly but ears back.

"Can you believe that Thornstar is acusing everyone? Why would we want their silly little prey in the middle of New-leaf?" Firepaw complained, sitting next to Winterpaw.

"It's crazy," Winterpaw agreed.

"You will all pay!" Thornstar hissed, leaping off the rockpile and leading his clan away, not caring that the gathering was not over.

"Um, Cloudclan has nothing to share other then than prey is commen right now." Shadowstar said, not bothering to get on the rockpile.

"Sunclan also has nothing to share other then we have two new apprentices. Firepaw, and his brother Pricklepaw!" Dawnstar meowed politely, not getting on the rockpile either.

Though with all the anger that the clans are in right now, the three clans managed to cheer the names.

"Firepaw! Pricklepaw! Firepaw! Pricklepaw!" They cheered, Winterpaw cheering Firepaw's name loudly, maybe even loudest of all.

"See you tomorrow," Winterpaw quietly meowed to Firepaw before following Rabbitstar and the rest of the cats back into Rainclan's forest. Firepaw nodded and followed Dawnstar and the rest of Sunclan cats back into the Sunclan territory.

Featherpaw quickly caught up with Winterpaw.

"It seems your getting attached to that Sunclan apprentice, Firepaw." Featherpaw hissed quietly.

"I'm not attached to him!" Winterpaw protested.

"He's just a friend I met on the border yesterday." Winterpaw insisted.

"What could be so friendly about  that Sunclan cat?" Featherpaw asked suspiciously.

"Well, he is a good hunter, strong fighter, his fur is perfectly matched with the colors in his fur, and his eyes shine perfectly when he is happy," Winterpaw realized what she was saying and quickly stopped.

"You do like him!" Featherpaw said excitedly but at the same time full of horror.

"But, I couldn't... he is a Sunclan cat..." Winterpaw murmured. 

How could I like a Sunclan cat? She wondered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featherpaw's pov

I can't believe it! Winterpaw likes a Sunclan cat! Scratch that, she likes Firepaw! Why Firepaw, it could have been any other cat, just not Firepaw! Featherpaw thought angrily. And, it's not fair! I had him first!

She thought about the first time she met Firepaw. His eyes where gleaming, he had just seen her gathering herbs in the Rainclan forest, she had seen him. Their gaze locked on eachother but Featherpaw had looked away and blushed. She remembered it all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey? I heard your clan is running low on yarrow. I have some, here!" Firepaw called, tossing four yarrow stocks to Featherpaw.

"Th-thank you..." Featherpaw whispered, blushing.

"I'm Firepaw. I'm guessing you must be Featherpaw?" Firepaw asked.

"Y-yes. That is my n-name." Featherpaw stammered.

"I should get going- meet me here tomorrow?" Firepaw said, ears perked.

"s-sure!" Featherpaw meowed excitedly, eyes sparkling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll just have to show her that I can win Firepaw over before she can! Featherpaw thought, storming away from Winterpaw. 

Suddenly, Winterpaw caught up to Featherpaw, her eyes where wide.

"Something is wrong! I can feel  it!" Winterpaw gasped.

"Don't be silly, the only thing wrong is the way you and Firepaw look at eachother!" Featherpaw scoffed.

"No! It's... Oh Starclan!" Winterpaw was not joking around.

"Everyone get back to camp quickly! The camp is being attacked!" Winterpaw screeched as loud as she could.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, some action! =3