Chapter 10: Ambush!

Winterfrost and Darksoul sat outside the warriors den on guard. It was their vigil, and it was really warm. It was also the first night of Greenleaf, which mean the fresh-kill pile wouldn't be small. Featherpaw had also gotten her medicine cat name, Featherwisp. Winterfrost thought it was a perfect name. Winterfrost suddenly had a feeling they where being watched, then she heard voices.

"I'll take out the gray and black on, you get the black one! Then, we will attack!" a voice said. There was whispers of agreement. Winterfrost then new that Darkclan was going to attack the camp! Darkclan is different from other clans, they hunt at night and are rarely up during the day. This could be their advantage! They could see better in the night and where used to being up at night, and Rainclan would be tired and sleepy. But she still had to warn them!

"Ambush!" Winterfrost yowled. Warriors and apprentices quickly got up and where out of the den.

"It seems that this little warrior knew our plans!" Cackled Thornstar.

"We will take her out first, then pick off the rest of you!" He screeched.

"Rainclan, Attack!" Rabbitstar's voice yowled.

"Darkclan, Attack!" Thornstar hissed. 

Then the clearing was alive with fighting hissing cats. The queens haden't woken up yet! They didn't block off the nursery!

Making an amazing leap, Winterfrost landed and dashed into the nursery. She quickly pulled the leafs that made the shield go down, and quickly ran out of the nursery as the shield was falling. But then, the shield stopped falling! 

Winterfrost looked to see a black cat above the nursery, holding the shield up with her claws and teeth. The queens where now up and gathering the kits at the back of the nursery, and standing around them in a semi-circle to protect them.

Winterfrost leaped onto the nursery and slashed at the cat holding the shield. Winterfrost knew that the queens, Mistyfire, Smallclaw, and Riverfeather would guard the only five kits in the nursery and even attack the Sunclan cats if they had to. 

The black cat allowed five Darkclan warriors in before releasing her grip on the shield. No! Now the queens where trapped in the nursery, outnumbered, and with kits who can't fight yet. Leaving the black cat, Winterfrost clawed at the shield as hard as she could. She could hear the yowls of the queens and the wails of the frightened kits.

She had a bad feeling but ignored it, tearing and ripping at the shield in attempt to break it open. When it finally crashed open, Smallclaw was laying on the nursery floor, unmoving, and the five cats where separating the other two queens from their kits. 

Hissing with anger, Winterfrost flung herself at the nearest cat, slashing him over and over again until he escaped her grip and fled from the nursery. Four more to go. Winterfrost thought. Winterfrost attacked a blue-gray tom that was growling at the kits. She used the same attack that she had taught herself as an apprentice, only this time when he leaped up, he went through the roof as Winterfrost pushed her claws onto his exposed belly. The tom also ran away to fight other cats. Three left. Now the queens where joining the attack. Mistyfire kicked a white she cat in the head and sent her staggering through the nursery entrance. Riverfeather led a fight outside with a black she cat, and Winterfrost leaped onto the back of a gray tom and dug her claws into his back until he flung her off and pelted out.

Winterfrost checked to see if any kits where hurt. Sunnykit had a small scratch and Blackkit had a nasty cut on his back, but nothing looked too bad, so Winterfrost left the nursery, giving a small moment to thank Smallclaw for giving her life trying to protect the kits.

It all happened too soon.  A white and black tom leaped onto Morningriver's back and dug his claws into her. Morningriver tried to fight back but the tom was avoiding every bite she tried to make. He then bit down on her neck and didn't let go. Winterfrost saw this and gave a yowl. It was mixed with anger and horror. She flung herself at the tom, knocking him off her back.

The tom only took a second to recover and lunged at Winterfrost. Winterfrost took the chance and quickly rolled onto her back, exposing her belly. The tom aimed for her belly right then but Winterfrost was ready. She sprang her paws up and felt flesh tear in her claws. The tom screeched and fell to the ground. 

Yet again, he stood up. His eyes where filled with rage. Winterfrost suddenly knew with a pang of horror that he would not stop until Winterfrost or Morningriver where dead, or he was killed himself. Reluctantly, Winterfrost lunged at the tom and bit down on his throat, biting down as hard as she could.

The tom screeched, trying to get free but Winterfrost held with a deathly grip. She could feel the blood begin to drip down her head as she held on. Then, the tom stopped struggling and went limp and Winterfrost knew he was dead.

"Grayclaw!" A voice wailed. All the cats stopped fighting.

"You may have won this time, but we will be back!" Thornstar yowled and his clan fled from the camp.

Rabbitstar looked at Winterfrost sternly.

"Come to my den. Now." He said. 

Winterfrost followed Rabbitstar into the leader's den. He sat down and looked at Winterfrost with a cold look.

"Why did you kill that tom?" He asked.

"He wouldn't stop! He almost killed Morningriver! And then he tried to kill me! It says in the warrior code not to kill a cat unless the cat is putting your life in danger! And he was putting our lives in danger." Winterfrost said quickly.

Rabbitstar nodded his head.

"I trust you are telling the truth. That is all I wanted to know, you may leave now." He meowed simply.

Winterfrost left the den relieved. 

The warriors where now fixing the camp. Thicketlake, Wetspirit, and Littleweed where fixing the shield, Windsparrow, Wolfpelt, and Poppyroot where fixing the rest of the nursery, Morningriver, Sunnykit, Blackkit, Icefang, Darksoul, and  Amberpelt where getting their wounds checked, Crowsong, Redclaw, Weedbite, and Toadleap where wandering around the camp helping out with whatever needed to be done like fixing a hole in the warriors den or helping repair the roof of the nursery.

Winterfrost thought maybe she should get the wound on her neck checked and the scratches on her back too.

There was two lines at the medicine den. Featherwisp was helping cats in one line and Rainheart was helping cats in the other. More cats where in Rainheart's line, probably because she was more experienced with caring for wounds.

Winterfrost waited behind Amberpelt as Blackkit got his wound covered in cobwebs. Amberpelt had a large cut on his right haunch, which Featherwisp put cobwebs on and gave him two poppyseeds to eat. 

Featherwisp treated Winterfrost's neck by putting cobwebs on it and the same with her back wounds too. Then she gave her one poppyseed for the pain.

"I would give you three poppyseeds but its still your vigil." Winterfrost nodded.

Then, when everyone was done being treated, all the cats went to sleep in the dens, planning to work on fixing everything completely tomorrow. 

Only Winterfrost and Darksoul where still up, their vigil long and hard. Winterfrost was tired and had to have Darksould give her a small nip on the ear every time she would try to doze off to stay awake. This was a long night alright. One long night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How dare Darkclan attack again! What do you think Rainclan should do? Attack Darkclan? or just leave it be? Comment and please vote! =3