Chapter 31

Some of the cats cheered. Others wailed. The warriors all made a pathway to the entrance of the camp. Winterfrost glared at them.

"Darksoul, you must understand why I attacked Rainheart, for Featherwisp was your sister as well as mine!" Winterfrost meowed. Darksoul looked around at the warriors around him. He stood up and walked toward Winterfrost. Winterfrost sighed with relief, but a bit too soon.

"I don't know what you are talking about. I have no sister." Darksoul replied coldly, whipping around and stalking back into the crowd of cats to sit with Icefang. Winterfrost's mouth dropped open, but only for a few seconds. 

"Poppyroot, I looked up to you, you know that I did it for a good reason!" Winterfrost was becoming deparate. Poppyroot looked at her with sorrow in his eyes.

"I would come with you, as I was your mentor. But our friendship cannot stay. I thought you wanted to be like me, like your mentor. But I see now that is not at all what you wanted. I choose to stay among my clanmates." Poppyroot meowed, looking away sadly.

"Morningriver? Mother? Won't you come with me?" Winterfrost was struggling to keep her voice calm. She felt a wail rise in her throat but she kept it down. Morningriver  gazed at the kit she had raised. She knew she couldn't do it.

"I am not your Mother. You do not have my blood. Your real Mother is from far away. Farther than I could have ever taken you. I wanted to return you but... I knew you and your siblings couldn't make the journey. My answer is no. I will not go with you. Your parents could have been killers for all I know. I wanted so much to believe you were mine. But I was wrong. I don't want anything to do with you any longer." Morningriver growled, no longer having feelings for the kit she had raised.

Winterfrost looked at Morningriver. It wasn't true! It couldn't be! Winterfrost didn't care anymore anyways. She felt tears forming at her eyes. She had finally realized what she had almost done to Rainheart. Rainheart must have felt terrible for sending her first apprentice to do something and then watching her die.

"I-I..... I'm sorry...." Winterfrost whispered to the cats.

"Our clan will give you time to leave. If any of my cats find you on our territory after moonhigh, I give them permission to kill you." Rabbitstar meowed dryly.

"Please.... I didn't know what I was doing.... I-" Winterfrost didn't finish before Darksoul lashed out at her, giving her a large cut on the side of her face.

"Rabbitstar said to leave!" Darksoul growled, lashing at her again, this time getting her ear. Winterfrost winced as the tip of her ear got clawed off. She couldn't believe Darksoul was doing this. Darksoul didn't give her time to leave  before landing another blow on her shoulder, and then her chest. Winterfrost knew they were going ot leave scars.

Winterfrost leaped back as Darksoul lashed out again. Winterfrost looked into his eyes. She couldn't see the same kit who had been excited to attack a mossball, or calm her when she got scared that one time when their foster father had gone into battle and never returned. Instead, his eyes showed nothing but hatred and blood. Winterfrost looked at him sadly and raced out of the camp. What had changed? Why had Darksoul done this? Were was the fun Darksoul?