Chapter 27

Winterfrost woke up in the white forest again, for the first time in moons. Maybe Yellowfang was back! She thought excitedly. Yellowfang suddenly come out from the forest and was breathing hard.

"Winterfrost, I need you to listen to me! There is a forest called the dark forest and it is more powerful than ever! You must not go there and you must not train there. The reason I haven't been coming to you is because I was in a battle with four clans against them. They have been defeated, but some of their powerful leaders have not been. They are angrier and more determined this time to attack your forest! They only want power, they want to use you! So what ever you do, don't listen to them!" Yellowfang hissed before fading away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winterfrost woke, startled. It was only just passed dawn, and the dawn patrol must have left already. She stretched and looked around the den. Darksoul was twitching in his sleep, Lillyheart was softly purring and Windfang was muttering something while sleeping.

Slowly, Winterfrost padded out of the den, avoiding tails and paws. She was out of the den quickly, giving a giant yawn and looking at the fresh-kill pile. The elder, Whiskerseed, was looking at the fresh-kill pile too.

"I hope the dawn patrol brings back some prey." she grumbled. "All thats left here is cold tough mice and a crow." 

Winterfrost sat down by the warriors den and looked around the camp. It was quiet and still, the warriors and apprentices holding onto the last bit of sleep they could get that morning before the day. Winterfrost had never been like that. While she was a kit, she was always up early and trying to make excuses to get Featherkit to wake up.

Rabbitstar was just coming out of his den. A few other warriors where coming out of the warriors den too. Winterfrost looked up at the sky. She could barely see the moon, it was almost completely full. The gathering would be tonight. She thought, hoping she could go to see Fireclaw.

Winterfrost still remembered the Sunclan warriors rushing across the border, Darkclan close behind. It was the day Winterfrost had become a lioness for a short time. The Sunclan cats had only stayed at Rainclan's camp for a few minutes, because Darkclan had left the territory of Rainclan and Sunclan. Fireclaw had stayed so she could explain to him too, but left right after. She didn't get to talk to him alone.

Now more warriors where awake and apprentices where coming out of their dens too. The dawn patrol was now coming back, Winterfrost could see and hear it. But another cat was with them. And a few kits? 

"Winterfrost!" Winterfrost was destracted by Rabbitstar's call.

"I'd like you to come to the gathering tonight. Darkclan doesn't like us right now and we need the best source of protection we can get. They don't seem to follow the warrior code, so there might be fighting." Rabbitstar meowed. Winterfrost dipped her head.

"I'll protect my clan, even at the cost of my life. Thats the oath I took when I was made a warrior, and I will look up to it." Winterfrost vowed.

"Thank you Winterfrost. It must be hard for you, knowing that you might have to reveal yourself if there is battle, but don't worry. Our clan will be thankful." Rabbitstar promised and padded towards a group of warriors.

Winterfrost looked at the sky. It was now sun-high. Winterfrost saw clouds moving in. It seemed so strange, Greenleaf seemed to have gone by so fast. Leaf-fall would be cold, but not as cold as Leaf-bare. Thats when all the warriors and apprentices have to stop eating so much in order for the clan to each get something to eat.

"Winterfrost, I'd like you to come on a hunting patrol. We need more prey so that we can burry it and then uncover it when Leaf-bare comes." Weedbite ordered. Winterfrost haden't seen him approach her. Winterfrost nodded and joined the patrol with Darksoul, Poppyroot, Toadleap, and Crowsong.

The patrol left quietly as the dawn patrol returned, with no news to report though Darkclan's scent markers where strong and fresh. Winterfrost followed the patrol with no words shared. Quickly, Winterfrost scented a mouse and strayed from the group, crouching down and slinking forward. It was directly in front of her now. She then sprung from her hiding spot and got it before it could squeal and scare away other prey.

Proudly, she carried her catch back to the patrol and continued following them. Looking up at the sky again and seeing the sun was still all the way up, Winterfrost knew it would be a long day until the gathering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much to say here, are you enjoying the book? Comment and please vote! =3