Never leave your window unlocked. Ever.

Anna Sophia Robb as Ava 😍

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izzy.

Edited.

It took me until Thursday to recover from my hangover. My mind -- finally clear of the rain cloud known as Jack Daniels -- struggled to comprehend the exam notes Mr B was running through with us.

I massaged my temples as he ran through on the white board endless faults in the comprehending task we had completed last week. He spoke in fast, broad Australian drawl, and never pronounced his r's or his vowels. Sam was trying her hardest to pay attention. Whenever she walked into English, she always went white with fear and apprehension. Sammy was failing English at this moment and needed to pull a B from a D to boost her chances to get into University next year. Corey inspected her nails in an air of casual nonchalance that came from high test results.

After little persuasion, Sam joined Corey in harassing me. Sam giggled on one side of me, while Corey poked my arm. She leaned in close enough that I could smell the bitter coffee on her breath to hiss in my ear. "What could go wrong?!" Both of them had been nagging me for months over having a party. I was not so inclined as last time I did, the police and an ambulance had to be called. Some people just can't hold their liquor.

I shrugged my shoulders, doodling a flower -- sloppily with my left hand -- made out of black ink in my work book. "Well I broke my wrist last time." Mr B heard our chatter and rose his voice to combat ours.

Corey huffed, falling against the back of her chair. "You jarred it, I think you need to chill." Her eyebrows were raised and her lips pursed. She stared at me in faux belligerence. Sam's giggles became louder.

Finally exasperated, Mr B turned to us.He stood the front of the class in a buttoned shirt, tie and dress pants. He fiddled with a blue white board marker, his tongue prodding at his bottom lip. "Girls, am I interrupting?"

"No sir. We'll be done soon." I snapped back and as the class registered my back handed comment, they dissipated into giggles and gasps. My own mouth fell open at my comment and my dads voice filled my mind, Jesus, you never think before you speak, do you?

Corey ducked her head and breathed. "You've done it now, idiot."

I gazed up into the large sweet chocolate eyes of Mr B, and a wave of sheepish remorse forced me to look away. "I mean, sorry sir." I muttered, barely loud enough to rise above the bemused whispering of the class.

"No talking when I'm speaking." Instead of looking at Mr B, I traced over the writing on my hand. In blue ink I had written print, form, 4514 and 70%. My cheeks flushed and I saw smiles on the faces of my classmates. I didn't have to endure the painful embarrassment much longer, the bell sounded and Corey, Sam and I were the first ones out.

English was our last period for the day. We walked from the English block -- up the far side of school grounds -- down the the maths block, where our years lockers were. We dodged between people we would be well shot of in a few months time, the stench of Lynx body spray and BO rife. "Are you working tonight?"

"I dunno yet." We all worked over on the North side of town -- feeding into the south vs north mentality that was rife in Eastwood-- at Miss E's. It was a dodgy as all hell restaurant. Did they have great uniform? Maybe. Miss E was an old friend of my aunt, so that had gone a long way.

"Does anyone find it hell shady she pays us in cash?"

"Oh, she's totally committing tax fraud or something."