Strawberry milkshakes and bets

Corey.

Edited.

There were four main suburbs of Eastwood.

To the south was Midgegooroo, the glaringly affluent suburb on the canals, with their large houses made from marble.

Boodjar was in the north, and in a recent investigation conducted by the World Health Organisation, had been announced as the meth capital of the world.

In the east and west were Darbal and Karlup respectively. Darbal was a working class neighbourhood fueled by builders and plasterers and would never change, on principle. Karlup was a middle class neighbourhood, divided into lower and upper, the park Izzy lived on the wrong side of as the marker.

York Catholic College was situated in the upper middle class neighbourhood of Karlup.

Sloane Mawson was a girl who could always be spotted, sprawled out over a desk with a container of some type of food by her head. She was more reliable than a clock, providing us up to the second updates of when the bell was going to ring.

Izzy, Sam and I might have a reputations as gossips, but we got the majority of our information from her. I think she got away with it because of her cute English accent.

Sloane was in the majority of my classes as well, but we had been separated for talking too much.

Izzy and I often walked home with her, Vinnie, and Sloane's good friend, Keira Allwell. She went to Easts, but met us at Yorkie's gates ten minutes after the bell went. Keira was staying at Sloane's, after years of staying quiet in the face of her bigoted parents had finally reached an end. We had all offered her a place to stay -- but after Ava's parents refused to let her move in with them, she went to Sloane's silently.

We walked in the cold, tucking our leavers jackets closer to our chest. The scent of damp earth hung in the air around us, rain drops caught on the waxy green leaves and blue, purple and yellow petals of the flowers in the front yards we passed. The woodsy scent of hearths and freshly cut grass hung under our noses.

It was only half past three, but the sun was beginning to set -- casting long, black shadows over the concrete. The sun seeped through the thick, white clouds overhead and illuminated everything in orange. A helicopter flying over us echoed off the street.

"I tried talking to my parents." Keira broke the silence.

"How'd that go?"

"I think they think I'm a waste of space." She nodded, eyes focused on the footpath.

Vinnie out an arm around her shoulders, saying. "You're not to us." Keira laughed, resting her head against his shoulder.

We had climbed the hill the school built at the base of -- our houses on the other side. Vinnie, who was opening a packet of small pretzels, smiled as the Roger twins drove passed us, hollering and shouting. "Those boys are something else."

"I heard they fight heaps." Sloane took a handful of pretzel's, throwing them into her mouth. Sloane slipped her hands over her ponytail and let her hair fall to her shoulders. She groaned in satisfaction.

We paused on the pavement so Vinnie could pour a handful of pretzel's into Izzy's mouth. "Either way, they're hot." She said, covering mouth with her small fist so we couldn't see her chew.

"Who's hotter?"

"Aren't they identical twins?" Vinnie frowned and we collectively rolled ours eyes. He trailed behind us, still frowning at our silence.