There goes my life.

Jace.

Edited.

Danny was hosting a dinner. Something about a wedding present for Deepika and James. Something about my father being able to turn anything to his advantage. Something about I didn't give a fuck.

I tried to wriggle my way out of the dinner, but it was a long weekend so I had absolutely no excuse. I ignored the grand spiel he went on, too busy glaring at the woman hovering behind him.

"Did you hear me, Jason?" Danny asked me, clicking his fingers in front of face.

"What?" I snapped at him, pushing his hand away.

Dad sighed. "You are required to wear a suit tonight."

"Joy," I said from between my teeth. Cynthia smiled at me, a soft, sweet little thing. I scowled.

Damien was standing next to me, mimicking everything I did. So when I turned to leave, he did too. "The white one, please!" Dad called after us. Under my breath I muttered, fuck off, sauntering to my room.

Damien trailed after me as I took the stairs two at a time, his legs scrambling to keep up with me. "Jacey —"

"Not now kid," I said gruffly and avoided the way his face fell.

I'm a shit person and a shit brother, so what?

I slammed my door shut a few times, before tumbling to the floor, hands in my hair. I gazed my ceiling, everything around me still and quiet. My stomach turned at the absence of Cole and Alex's loud shouting and fighting.

Later, in the evening, as I was pulling on my suit jacket, Danny stalked into my room, fiddling with his ruby cufflinks. The bastard looked better than I did in the colour white and suits. His salt and pepper hair was smoothed back, his baby blues tired and lined with wrinkles caused from smiling.

We stood there in silence. "Okay, I'm just gonna say it," Danny said eventually, as I tied my shoe laces.

"Say what?"

"I know that it can't be easy —"

"You don't know shit." I spat, my voice splintering the fragile calm between us. Dad shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Give her a chance Jace."

I shook my head, and swallowed, my mouth dry. "I don't want to."

"Did something happen Jace?" Danny asked, exasperated. I pressed my tongue against the back of my teeth and shook my head. So, after all this time he's chosen to ask me now if I'm okay? Now? Mum's been dead for 8 years you son of a bitch. "Because ever since you came home from that Vinnie kids party you've been —"

"Danny, I'm fine." I kept my voice as even as I could, and I even tried to give him a smile.

"Since when have you called me by my first name?"

"I dunno, since I started seeing you only once a week?" I bit at him, unintentional bitterness leeching into my voice.

"We moved back home to be closer."

"Yeah, but you realize that the only home I ever really knew was Boucherville right?" My voice was shaking, and I could feel that muzzle clamp itself over my mouth. "Y-y-you took me from my home, and from everything that reminded me of Mum and stuck me in the middle," I just couldn't get the words out like I wanted to. The muzzle got tighter, I struggled to fight it. "O-of the eff-effing bush."

"I'm going to be a better father to you and Damien." He told me soberly.

"Alright," I laughed. Danny paused. He reached out, his fingers finding the gold chain around my neck. He pulled the chain, and what dangled on the end, out from the folds of my collared shirt. Danny placed Mum's wedding ring flat against my chest. He left the door open a crack when he left.