Good old cheaters.

Alex.

Edited.

The six of us had ended in the bush around Jace's property, hiding from the cops his neighbours had called.

We were huddled in a small clearing, underneath a small, shabby gazebo Danny hadn't gotten around to fixing yet. Sam was leaning against me, and I leaned against on one of the supporting pillars. Jace, Corey and Cole were sitting opposite to us. Izzy was sitting a little away, throwing up. There was a sound of bile hitting the floor and then a shaky voice whispering fuck. Corey went over to her, sighing. She brought Izzy back a few minutes later.

We could hear the scrambled footsteps and squeals of teenagers fleeing around us. Maybe they were squealing because the cops were chasing them, or maybe it was because they had been forced to run out into the rain.

Not phased by the chaos around us, Cole laughed. "Oh shit, I had a Saturday detention."

"I think the suspension cancelled that out, mate."

"You got suspended?" Izzy gasped, half in disbelief and partly in awe. Cole grunted in reply, picking at the holes in his jeans.

"I've got training later today." Sam said quickly, trying to cover for Cole. We all gladly turned our attention to Sam. Jace glared at Cole on behalf of the both of us, he could act like such a dick.

"For?" I asked, my eyes still on Cole. He sunk into the ground and rolled his eyes at my poor attempt of discipline.

"Weight lifting." Sam said, quietly, her voice almost shaking. She gazed at Izzy and Corey, who both smiled.

Jace, Cole and I did a double take. Not going to lie, my mouth fell open. "Shit."

The conversation fell flat again, so Sam asked. "So what are youse doing next year?" Next year. The elusive sunset over the horizon. I mean, I couldn't stand half my year; but still. I'd spent five years -- my adolescence -- with those people. I had heard about their troubles and shortcomings in homeroom and was drunk with them in McDonalds. They were apart of my routine for normalcy.

Hot and uncomfortable, I shifted my weight and leaned back in the chair. "Dads a mechanic, so that's what I'll do. At least my parents didn't waste all that money on a private school education for it to get me nowhere." Everyone laughed and I relaxed into the pillar. Sam tensed in my arms.

"Environmental biology." Corey said firmly. My eyes widened.

"Psychology," Izzy croaked, before saying in a rush, "But I kinda wanna do an art degree but that gets you nowhere. And my parents didn't spend all that money for me to go nowhere." She shot a look toward me. The heat rose into my cheeks. Nice one Alex.

"Medicine." Jace answered loud and clearly. He hated when things moved slowly. The principal wanted him to tutor younger students, but he didn't have the patience.

"I dunno yet. Maybe a trade. Maybe law. Maybe with all the money my parents saved not sending me to a private school, they'll send me to Europe." Cole's lips tugged up at the corners, before taking a drag. Izzy reached for it, but Cole stamped it out before she could have a drag. I clamped my teeth together, and partially growled. He muttered something that sounded a lot like cheater. This time Cole drew Corey's attention. She leaned forward, her chin resting on her palm.

Izzy drew a breath, but Sam cut her off. "Jesus Christ, did you see what Wes did last night?"

"No?"

"He basically called Izzy a slut again." Unconsciously wanting to please Sam, I suggested to Cole and Jace we teach him a lesson.

"Mate, my nose is straight and I intend to keep it that way." Cole quipped. He brought his knuckles up to his chest so he could examine them. Isaac and his hard head.