Jealousy would do it.

Hailee Steinfeld as Bodhi 😍

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jace.

Edited.

This whole mess started when Alex dragged Cole and I to Sam's netball game, and the girls went to their football match. All of us ended up going back a girl called Ava's house, so the girls could borrow her clothes for the football after party we were all evidently attending. The host cancelled last minute. Our careers adviser warned us about how social year 12 was, but I didn't believe her, not until I hosted an impromptu party which swelled to fifty plus people. We were trying to balance partying and athletics and studying but some were neglected more than others.

Standing on the landing of my staircase, I felt my breath hitch. This was what I got for mentioning dad and my brother would be gone for the weekend. I blamed Mr Enders. He threatened to have the football team do suicide runs until "the end of time" after their loss that morning. So, naturally, they were partying. Football after parties were something else. People were throwing up, making out, gossiping, doing drugs and drinking too hard. That was only out the front. Inside, boys fought in the lounge room, girls cried in the bathroom, people crowded around closed doors and hollered. I had to cordon off the top two levels of my house. In the backyard boys played beer pong and lost steep bets and girls laid on the grass, gazing up at the stars.

"Come on Jace, Darwin. Adapt, survive, get over it." Cole sucked in a long drag from his dying cigarette, slapping me on the back.

"I'm sorry, but I came back to Eastwood to avoid responsibility, not to get into it." I yelled, spotting cars piling into my driveway, through the open front bay windows.

I closed my eyes and blocked my ears, taking a steadying breath. Opening my eyes and unblocking my ears again, I found music was shaking the walls -- and droves of people were half illuminated by the dim down lights.

There were barely a hundred students in my year at Eastwood, and even though they didn't all play football, they seemed to all be at my house. They complimented my house and called me princeling. I glared at the ground.

Cole had the decency to appear guilty -- me hosting was his idea -- and promised if I gave him the word he'd throw them out. By the time I made up my mind they had all converged on him however, and I couldn't take the court away from their king. Cole though, was letting his attention be held by Sean Fontaine.

With the attention on Cole, I crept out the back, and Alex followed. Izzy and Sam were huddled around the bonfire already. Alex had started it before everyone else had arrived. The bonfire was just a ways down from the party in the backyard. The light from the fire cast long shadows of the trees on my property.

They were with Keira -- a girl we went to school with -- who's arms were around her girlfriend, Ava. Sam and Izzy wore her clothes and make up, but made it their own. Izzy wore fishnets under ripped black jeans, and a pink crop top. She had a blue denim jacket tightly wrapped around her. Sam was on her arm, in leather pants and a white jumper.

"Where's Corey?"

"Gone to get Isaac and a few of his mates." Izzy winced, her eyes not leaving the fire.

"Come on, I wanna show you something." Alex whispered to Sam, taking her hands to help her up off the cold ground.

"Oh Alex, I don't think she wants to see that!" Izzy yelled after them. They ignored her and Alex led Sam out into the darkness, toward the paddock and stables.