Chapter 11

Luna's P.O.V.

"Thank you." I whispered. He didn't move, not that I expected him to. I let him go, unwrapping my arms from him and taking a step back. I looked down, my face completely red. "I'm sorry..." I muttered, peeking through my draping hair at him. He just stood there, looking at me, not saying a word. Suddenly she shook head, as if finally coming to.

"N-no... it's okay." He stammered, looking at the ground and kicking a small rock. "Just... caught me off guard I guess..." He added. 

"Should we go now?" I asked, quickly changing the subject. 

"Yeah..." He nodded. We stepped away from the house, walking into the woods I was so familiar with. I raised my head, sniffing the air. The air was fresh, and a faint scent of trees hung in the air. My ears twitched back and forth, following the quiet sounds of wood animals. I closed my eyes, admiring the breeze that floated by. "Are you glad we came out here?" Jack asked me.

I turned, facing him. "Yes, very much" I beaming. He laughed a bit and I could tell he was smiling. That's when it hit me again; that lingering curiosity over whats under his mask. I pushed it away, biting my lip.

"Something wrong?" He asked, cocking his head.

"No... It's nothing." I said, turning away from him and looking into the trees. We happily waltzed though thought the tall brush. We passed squirrels up trees and rabbits fleeing into tall grass. 

"Hey Luna." Jack said, gaining my attention. I peered over to him. "Do you... Like being with us?" I'd been asked that before, but coming from him it caught me off guard.

"Yea." I said, looking down and smiling. "I-I know I've already said this before," I stuttered. "But thank you for saving me." I said, looking up at him. 

"It was nothing, really. I just... " He trailed off on his words, looking up at me and fidgeting around with his fingers. "Nothing forget about it." He told me.

I was going to say something, but my ears directed me a faint sound coming from farther in the trees. "Do you hear that?" I whispered, taking a step forward.

"Hear what?" He asked lowering his voice. I raised my ears higher, listening for any thing more. Another high pitched screamed arose from deep within the woods.

"There it is again!" I whispered, looking back at him.

"Luna, I don't hear anything." He insisted, shaking his head.

I crouched, leaning down a bit. "Follow me." I whispered. I ran to a tree, pressing myself against it. Jack followed, going to a tree next to me. I stopped and listened. Another scream. It was closer this time. I kept moving towards it, listening.

"Do you know where you're going?" Jack called quietly from behind me. 

"Yes, I do. Now come on." I replied. Being the stealthy walker I am, I avoided the crackling sticks on the ground,keeping myself from making noise. 

We passed many trees when the sound came again. This time, I could make out words. "Help me!" A feminine voice shrieked.

"Did you hear it that time?" I asked, turning my head to look at his face.

"Yeah." He nodded. "That time I did."

We pressed on, making our way closer. "Someone please!" The woman cried out again. We were close, very close. Jack came up to my side, so we were next to each other. With each petrified scream, Jack seemed to become more and more rigid.

We came up to a large bush, and I could tell that behind this was what we were hearing.

"Hey, maybe we shouldn't do this." Jack suddenly claimed.

"Why? We've came this far,  lets see what it is." I argued.

"You don't understand. I know whats there." 

"Then whats there?"

"Something you don't want to see."

"Tell me." 

"No. Just come one. Let this be."

"Why are you being like this?"

"I'm trying to protect you."

"From?"

"..."

"I'm looking." I put my hand through the branches and pried them apart, peering inside. All I saw was a flash of white, black and red, before someone put their hand in front of my eyes. I took my hands from the brush, gripping the strong hand on my eyes. "Jack what are y-" I was cut off by him snaking his other arm around me, covering my mouth.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. I squirmed around, trying to break free. What's he doing? The hand on my mouth moved away and I would have cried out but I couldn't. There was a sharp pain in my spine and  my body fell limb. "I'm sorry." He repeated himself and I faded into blackness.