Chapter 18

-I'm really glad all of you like this story so far. It really means a lot me X) -

Luna's P.O.V.

When the fire began to burn down and the sun slowly began to rise, I pulled the rabbit from the flames and waited for it to cool. The fire only provided little heat, but it was better than nothing.

I watched silently as the sun arose, bringing an array of reds and oranges with it. The last of the fire crackled and popped before dying down and turning to embers. I looked up at the clear sky, a chilled breeze making me shiver again. I lied my hand on my rabbit. The meat was warm now; the wind cooled it down more quickly then expected. With out a second thought I gripped onto it and bit down, ripping away a chunk with my sharp teeth.

The meat was pure bliss. I hadn't eaten in a few days and it was heaven. I closed my yes, taking in as much taste as possible. I took another bite, tearing the cooked meat and swallowing. I wolfed down the rest of my meal and groaned, knowing I had eaten it too fast. As the sun peaked above the horizon, I got up and yawned. I hadn't slept last night, and I needed something to perk me back up. I took in a breath and listened. Almost on cue, a soft trickling noise in the distance rang in my wolf ears. They twitched and turned, following the sounds.

I got up, kicking dirt over the embers to cover my tracks. I let me ears lead me, traveling into the trees and following the noise. As I got closer, the sound became louder. I realized the sounds I was hearing was a river, that looked like it could only be about deep enough to reach my waist. I approached it, bending down on my knees. For a river, the water rushed by really fast, carrying small stones and twigs. I cupped the water with my hands and brought it up to my mouth, drinking it.

I leaned slightly forward, cupping more water as droplets fell quickly from my hands. I sipped the small puddle of water and dumped the rest over my head, shaking it away. Suddenly, my knees slipped off the edge, my body weight shifting. I was plunged into the water. I under estimated its height. I couldn't touch the ground as I swam to the top, reaching for the walls. They were high up, as the water had drilled into the ground, making the soil surface rise above it. I couldn't get a good grip as the water swept me away. 

It was freezing against my skin, making me shiver violently. I was forced underwater, the current being too strong. I was tossed around, trying to regain my breath, I swam to the surface, choking in a breath. Water filled my lungs and I coughed, my chest heaving.

I couldn't breath right, my mouth filled with water as I fought to stay above the surface. It swept me farther, and my body began to grow tired. I automatically regretted not sleeping. "Help!" I coughed, my voice barely above a whisper. 

I felt too tired to fight anymore, and I let go, the water carrying under. I floated around, closing my eyes and knowing I was going to die. Just as my breath left my lips and floated to the surface in bubbles, a rope like object wrapped around me, heaving me up and out of the water.

As soon as my body came in contact with the solid ground, my eyes shot open. I turned over, choking and spitting up the water that was trapped inside my lungs. I gasped and struggled for a breath.

"I see you're still alive." A male voice said. I recognized it immediately. I looked up to see a man towering over me. He was wearing a suit, and he was faceless.

"Slender..." I said, still catching my breath. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He said, helping me up. Once I got to my feet I gripped my hair, wringing it out. I was soaked. "It's cold out today. It's not good for you be all wet. Come on, let's go home."

I stopped, pulling away from him. "No." I said sternly. Though he had no face, I could picture the confused expression he would have had. "I can't go back."

"Why not?" He said. There was a silence. "Jack feels horrible. He's truly sorry, and he's been out looking for you."

Though the words struck me like a brick, I couldn't go back. "I-... I don't belong there. With you guys. He found me, and saved me, and I thank him for that... But... I just can't be inside. It's not me!" I yelled, standing my ground. The word left my lips and part of me regretted it, while the  other half knew it was right to say.

"I understand, Luna, but its beginning winter. You can't be out here on your own in the cold. You'll die." He persisted.

"I've made it on my own for 14 years havn't I?" I snapped back. "I'm fine on my own."

He nodded slightly, giving out a sigh. "I'll let you stay out here on our own, but I will check on you every once in a while."

"Please don't tell Jack... Or anyone, for that matter." I told him, turning. "I don't want them to search for me."

"If that's what you want, I suppose I will not tell. But, always keep in mind you're welcome to come back." He said. I turned around, about to say thank you but he was gone. Teleporting somewhere.

The sun was now completely up and I hadn't noticed snow began to fall. "Thank you.." I murmured into the air before turning and heading back into the trees, chilled to the bone and soaking wet.