Chapter 14

Luna's P.O.V.

"Jeff, tell me whats wrong with him." I whined, looking Jeff and knowing I wouldn't get an answer from Jack. He gave him a glare saying 'Don't tell her.'

"Like Jack said, its nothing." He lied to me.

"You're both liars." I growled at them, my tail twitching with irritation. I got up, taking steps into the hallway. "Fine, I'll just go ask Be-"

"No." Jack spat, cutting me off. "Don't talk to him."

"And why not?" I asked, raising a brow and turned towards him.

"Just... Just don't." He said. I sighed angrily, walking back over to the couch and sitting next to him. I glared at him, trying to get the information out.

"Well...." Jeff said suddenly, getting up. "I think I'll let you two handle this one alone." He walked into the hall, running up stairs and into his own room.

"Jack tell me!" I urged, placing my arms on his shoulder. He pulled away, ripping his arm from me. 

"Just stop, okay?" He yelled. "I can't tell you." He said in a quieter voice, remembering people were sleeping.

"No. There's something going on." I told him, showing the points of my teeth.

"And how do you know that I'm hiding something?" He asked, looking me.

"All the secretes! You won't tell me what's wrong, you've been mad all day, and you knocked me out today! What was that all about?" I hissed. He didn't answer, just looked away and stared at the ground. "Well?!"

"Luna, I was doing that to protect you!" He barked back, snapping his glare to me.

"From what, Jack? From what?" I narrowed my eye. Again, he didn't reply. "I don't need protection! I've been all alone from the start. I was perfectly fine all on my own!" I spat.

He got up, turning towards me. "So you were perfectly fine when I found you lying on the ground dying? So you were perfectly fine when those villagers were chasing you?" He pointed out.

"I never asked you to save me!" I replied, raising my voice slightly, but not loud enough to awake anyone.

"Fine then! I should have just left you to die then I should have turned around and left you laying there!" I flinched at his words.

I looked up at him, anger sparking in my eyes. "Maybe... maybe you should have then. I was meant to die anyway!" I said, tears pricking at the corner of my eyes. 

He paused, before saying, "Maybe you were. Maybe you were supposed to die. I don't know why I saved you. I felt sympathy. That's all. Your ears. Your tail. They..." He trailed away, shutting himself up.

"Are you saying I'm a freak?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. he tears somehow hadn't fallen yet.

"I... I guess I am." He said, not knowing whether to say it or not. He looked up at me. "I'm going to bed." He said, not letting me say anything. He turned on his heels and ran for the stairs. He went into his room, leaving me siting there, alone of the couch. The tears had finally found their way out of my eyes and slipped down my cheek. 

Even him... He thinks I'm a freak too. I reached up and touched my ears. I pulled on them, letting out a yelp. Why? Why do I have these? Where did I get them? Maybe it's true... maybe... maybe I am a curse. I turned my glance to the door. I don't belong here. 

I stood up, the fabric on my shirt falling back down my shoulders. The tears continued to fall as I stepped towards the front door. Reaching out, my fingers grazed along the door knob. I set my palm on it, gritting my teeth. I pulled it open as quietly as possible and stepped outside. I looked back into the house. 

"Good bye." I whispered through a shaky voice. I shut the door, and peered out into the trees.

I ran into them, breathing in the air. The breeze was cold, and the moon hung half full in the sky. As I walked farther, the house became farther and farther away. I'm not like them I'm not a killer. I don't belong there. I don't belong anywhere. 

When I couldn't see the house anymore, I fell to my knees, shaking and in tears. The ground was solid and hurt against my knees but I didn't care. My breaths were short, and I was trembling. "I'm a freak." I told myself, gaining up the strength to stand back up and press on into the woods.

I was hungry, and hadn't eaten in a while. There was a lingering scent of squirrel in the air, but my stomach revolted. Even though I was hungry, I couldn't bring myself to eat. I took in a deep breath, wiping away the tears with my new shirt. 

Jack ran through my mind, no matter how many times I tried to push him away. Freak. It rung in my head like an echo.

I bit my lips, suppressing myself from any more tears. I sighed and leaned against a tree. I looked up at it and got an idea. There was a branch fairly high up and it was thick. I pushed myself off the tree and dub my nails into the bark, jumping up and clinging myself to the tree. I jumped again, climbing higher. Once I was leveled with the branch, I leaped off, gripping onto the branch and sitting on it. I leaned my body on the tree and let my self lay on the branch. This is a perfect place to sleep. 

I took in a breath, and shut my eyes. I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep, and was surprised when I finally did, breathing in the crisp air and taking in a dream.