Tris Returns x 28

Recap

Tris goes to visit Christina in hospital and sees Peter and Caleb there. Tobias noticed Tris leaving. He tried to stop her but unintentionally started acting a bit violent. Tobias then convinced himself that their feelings were impulsive and not real and that they shouldn't get back together. After Cain locked up Jo Kobe's he received a call from an unknown person who warned him that the apartment was on fire. Cain then realizes that Emery was at home. Meanwhile, Emery and Cain had a cute little date back at the apartment. They were watching mean girls and fell asleep. When they woke up they had a short conversation which was interrupted when Rhys smelt smoke. To confirm his theory Rhys opened the door and was greeted by flames.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y – E I G H T

-emery-

While I stood there frozen, Rhys immediately slammed the door shut.

"Holy shit, what are we going to do?" I asked Rhys.

"First, calm down."

"Calm down?" I stared at Rhys, suppressing the urge to slap him. "We're about to be burnt to a crisp and you're telling me to calm down?"

Rhys sighed and sat down on the bed. "Well, you won't help anyone or yourself if you're freaking out."

I take a deep breath before replying, "Well I hope you have a plan."

Rhys glanced at the balcony. He didn't even have to say anything. I already knew what he was thinking.

"You want us to climb from the balcony down to another level."

He nodded and stood up. He then started stripping the bedsheets from my bed.

"What are you doing?" I asked him as he gestured for me to help him.

I stood on the other side of the bed and started stripping the sheets.

"Well if you don't want to plunge to your death then we need to use this. How do you think that we get down to another level? Jump?"

I sighed, "You're right."

He grabbed the bedsheets and twisted them into a makeshift rope. He tied it to the balcony and slowly lifted himself over the railing.

He used the bedsheets to support his body as he slowly climbed down to the level below us. Rhys' feet hit the lower balcony.

"Emery quick! The fire will burn through the door in no time!"

I gulped as I looked down below. We were on the third level of the apartment building. I took a deep breath before swinging my leg over the railing. I swung my other leg over and then lowered my body just like Rhys had.

But clumsy me accidently let go and just like that, my body was suddenly falling.

"Emery!" I heard Rhys shout as he saw me falling.

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the impact. Patiently waiting for my body to smash into the pavement. Dammit! Why am I even having these thoughts!

Eventually my body did hit something. I wondered if it was the pavement, I mean my body was falling pretty quickly. The pavement was a lot softer than I thought. A thought then hit me, how am I not dead?

I slowly opened my eyes and found myself staring into a pair of blue eyes.

Rhys slowly lowered me onto the floor of the balcony. "Hey are you okay?" he asked gently rubbing my cheek with his thumb.