Tris Returns x 01

C H A P T E R  O N  E 

-tobias-

Today was the day. It's been three years since I lost Tris. I can't believe how stupid I was, how could I have left her alone? If I didn't, maybe she would still be here today. I sigh heavily as I sit with my back against the wall.

This is the one day that I dread. I hate seeing the pity on everyone's faces. I hear a knock at the door, "Who is it?" I ask. "It's me," Christina answers. I huff out another sigh, "Come in."

She opens and the door and walks over to me, giving me a quick peck on the cheek, "How are you?", she asks. "I'm fine," I reply in a monotone voice. I'm really not, I'm sure that she knows that. Christina and I started dating a year ago. She's my best friend and I know that I can trust her with anything but somehow I always knew that I would never be able to love her the way I loved Tris. 

When Tris first died, it was pretty lonely at Dauntless. Well, lonely to say the least. Tris, Al, Will, Uriah, Marlene, Lynn, Tori, were all gone after what seemed like minutes. I even missed Peter which is saying something. Everything was different after they were gone. Suddenly my friends were gone and instead of love all there was, was a gaping hole where my heart was supposed to be. 

"Tobias, Tobias, Tobias, Four, four, FOUR!", Christina practically yells in my ear. 

I raise an eyebrow, slightly irritated, "What?". 

"I asked if you wanted to go outside for some fresh air," she said. 

"Nah, I think I'm going to just stay here," I say. 

"Okay," Christina says before she leaves. Even though she tries to hide it, I see the disappointment on her face. I feel a slight twinge of guilt for being so rude to her. I have to remind myself that I wasn't the only one who lost someone that day. The day that I lost my other half, she lost her best friend.

I quickly get up off the floor and run after her. "Chris wait!", I yell once I've caught up to her. 

She quickly turns around,"What do you want?", she asks, swiftly wiping tears from her face.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just really hard today." I pause, "Let's go for a walk," I say before intertwining my fingers with hers. 

-tris-

I stand on the edge of the pit. I know that the net is there to catch me but that's not what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of how Tobias is going to react. According to everyone I died three years ago. Wow... three years. It's been three years since I've seen him, three years since I've touched and held him. Three years since I've told him that I love him. 

Peter rolls his eyes, "Today stiff, or do you want me to push you," I frown, "Gosh your memories recovered pretty quickly, too bad nice Peter couldn't stay for long," I snap. Peter chuckles, "It's been three years, of course my memories recovered, well at least most of them have. And don't be pissy, you know I love you," I roll my eyes, take a deep breath and jump. Gravity pulls me towards the net, the air pushing me up at the same time. I finally land onto the net. The same net that I landed on when I first came to Dauntless. The place where I had first laid my eyes on Tobias. 

"Oi Stiff, I know you must be reminiscing about the good ol' times but hurry up and get off so I can jump", Peter says impatiently. I rolled my eyes and roll off of  the net. I curse as I land on the ground. Why am I so short? Why couldn't I be blessed with tallness? 

A few seconds later Peter lands on the net. "Shit, I forgot how much the landing hurts," he says while wincing slightly. 

I smirk, "Despite what everyone thinks, you are actually such a softie."

I help him off the mat and we walk around the place we once called home. 

Peter and I walk into the park. Wait what? Since when was there a park? I shrug and walk closer to the play equipment. I see a tall man pushing a dark skinned girl with a choppy bob on the swing. As he stops the swing he leans over and kisses the girl. 

When the man pulls away from the girl, he turns to stare at me. Suddenly my breath is knocked out of me and I find myself unable to breathe. The man was none other than Tobias. 

The girls mouth formed into an 'O' shape. The girl was Christina. Wow, my best friend and my boyfriend kissing? Well, what did I expect? After all, I have been gone for three years. But it still hurts knowing that they got together... I mean, he could have gotten with anyone but somehow he ended up with my best friend....

I try to walk over to Tobias but he walks away without making eye contact with me. 

I hold back my tears as my heart shatters into tiny pieces.