Tris Returns x 12

C H A P T E R  T W E L V E

-tris-

I wait on the comfy lounge chair for Zoe to finish ordering.

Bits of my conversation with Lauren run through my head.

"Well, I'm still rooting for you two. I totally ship Toris."

What did she mean by still rooting for the two of us? And Toris? What?

Zoe holds a paper bag in one hand and a cardboard tray, holding four drinks in the other.

"Whatcha thinking about Tris?" she asks as she plops down on the opposite of me.

"N-Nothing," I say slowly.

"Ahh, got it. It's a secret," she states with a wink.

"Something like that," I reply.

She takes one of the drinks out from the tray and slides it across the table.

"I didn't know what you wanted so I got you a hot chocolate, that okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine. Thanks."

I grab my hot chocolate and blow into the small hole in the lid.

"No problem. So, how old are you?"

"Nineteen, how old are you?"

"Twenty," she replies quickly.

"Who's Tobias?" she asks.

"My um, ex."

"Did it end badly?" she asks.

I look down at my hands, "Uh no. He kind of thought I was dead for three years."

She raises her eyebrows, "How'd that happen?"

I let out a small laugh, "Long story that I will tell you one day when we don't have to work in five minutes."

She smiles, "Sounds good to me." She raises her cup and tilts it towards mine. I tap my cup against hers. We both take a sip of our drinks. I let out a sigh when the chocolatey goodness hits my tastebuds. I can taste the melted marshmallows that bring out the extra flavour in the drink.

Zoe holds out the paper bag, "Can you hold these?"

I take the paper bag from her, "Yeah sure."

We get up from the lounges and walk towards the exit, weaving our way through the many other tables.

"Bye Lauren!" Zoe and I yell as we walk past her. She gives us a little wave, "See you girls."

We exit the coffee shop and make our way back to Jo Kobe's.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

Cain practically tears the bag out of my hands.

"About time, I almost starved to death."

I stare at him. How the hell was he hungry? I bought five bagels this morning and that was only like one hour ago... not even an hour ago.

Zoe hands the two drinks to the boys and chucks the cardboard tray into the bin.

Cain immediately munches down the bagels and after a minute or two, their all gone, along with the cream cheese he craved and begged me for earlier.

I roll my eyes. Boys will be pigs.

I look at the clock and it reads 9:00 am.

Liam raises his eyebrows at us, "Time to work kiddies."

∞∞∞∞∞∞

"Excuse me, can I get these jeans in size 6?" A girl around the age of sixteen asks. I take the jeans from her, "Yeah sure."

I climb the ladder up to the top selves in the store and look for a size 6. After a minute or so, I find the size and climb back down the ladder. "Here," I say as I hand her the jeans.

She flashes me a smile, "Thank you so much."

I return the smile, "You're welcome."

Zoe bumps her hip with mine, "Aren't you a customer pleaser."

I wink at her, "Ya know it."

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

-tobias-

I look down at Christina's wrist.

I notice that she's wearing a silver bracelet with small key charms on it.

I point at it. "Did I get that for you?"

She looks down at her wrist and then back up at me. "No, Tris and I got it when we were shopping."

"You two were shopping together?"

"Yeeeaaah," she pauses. "Why wouldn't we?"

"I-I don't know, I just assumed."

She shrugs, "We're best friends. Why wouldn't we hang out?" she pushes.

"I don't know. Can we just drop it?" I snap.

Her eyes widen slightly, "You're the one who brought it up."

I roll my eyes, "I can't deal with this right now."

I give her a quick peck on the cheek before leaving her apartment.

"Tobias I-"I cut her off by shutting the door.

I recall the conversation we had a few days ago, when Tris came to my apartment to talk.

"Tobias, I-I want you to stay away from Tris," Christina says with a sense of urgency in her voice.

"What? Why?" I ask.

"I just don't want you to be near her?"

"Why?"

"Because she might try to I don't know.. seduce you?"

I laugh, a hollow sound with no depth behind it. "Seduce me? When you guys were best friends, you never said shit like this about her so what the hell is making you say this shit now?"

Christina opens her mouth before closing it again. She crosses her arms in front of her chest.

Great. Now I've pissed her off.

"Look, I appreciate you looking out for me and all but I just want to talk to her. Just to be friends with her. Friends. That's all."

"You don't care about me," she whispers.

It's like something inside of me has just snapped and I'm suddenly consumed with anger.

"Where the hell is this coming from Chris?!"

"You still love her," her voice even quieter than before. She's not even looking at me.

"No, I don't. I love you okay?"

A small part of me feels bad for lying to Christina and another is screaming at me, telling me that I'm still in love with Tris and I need to break up with Christina.

"Yeah whatever. Do what you want like you always do Tobias but just know. Know that if you truly care about me. You'll stay the hell away from her." The word her is laced with anger and another emotion... jealousy.

So she's basically forcing me to stay away from Tris but she just goes and shops with her whenever she wants?

I sigh, suddenly, it all seems crystal clear to me.

I'm going crazy and I need to talk to Tris.