sixteen

hope you're having a nice holiday :) -g

muditā (noun...japanese) - taking delight in the happiness of others, vicarious joy

"I feel like dying."

"You look like you're dying." Mason poked my arm with his eraser.

My hangover wasn't even the worst part, my brain was only mildly throbbing and my body was only temperately still asleep. But this lecture, this boring-ass lecture, was making my morning even worse.

I quickly scribbled a note into my notebook. "I have to stay alive for the rest of the day."

"What were you up to last night?"

"I went to Luke's frat party last night." I desperately hung my head and looked over at Mason, his wide, hazel-green, eyes innocently watching me as I spoke.

"Luke Foster? You're kidding."

"Yes, Luke Foster. He invited me when I was at his family's new bakery." I peered at my professor before looking back at Mason. "Harry and his friends picked Aria and I up, and then Harry took me home."

Mason licked his bottom lip. "Harry...that British dude?"

"Yes."

I reached over and wrote my name in Mason's notebook. I was halfway finished with my beautiful graffiti before he swatted my hand away.

"Did you guys hook up?"

"That's a personal question, Keyser."

"Well, I'm just wondering," he paused to listen to something the professor said. "I mean, I know you hate men and you abide by playing hard to get. But you never know what'll happen when alcohol and a beautiful British fellow is involved."

I slapped my hand over my mouth to hide my laughter. "Very funny, but no, Harry and I did not hook up."

"So, you're still in your dry spell? Most impressive."

"Low blow, Mason." I shook my head and wrote a note down. "Fuck off."

"My bad, Ad, but you know it's true." Mason curled his fingers around my arm, not able to fully hide his annoying giggles.

"I'm sorry that you're just so sexually frustrated that you feel the need to bang anything with a heartbeat and boobs every fucking weekend." I roughly pulled my elbow away from his grip.

"Sexually frustrated? Ouch."

I tried my best to angrily glare at Mason's mischievously grinning, Abercrombie-model face, but failed miserably. My lips eased into a stupid grin, not able to stay mad at him for long.

Mason and I's friendship was extremely sarcastic, we could practically say anything to each other without getting offended. But we both knew where to draw the line, and I greatly appreciated him for it.

"You deserved that one." I told him.

"You know what? You really hurt my feelings, Montgomery."

"Good."

"You'd really make me happy if you took me to Starbucks after class."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright, you big baby."

"Addison Montgomery!" My professor called out to me from the front of the class.

Everybody in the room turned to stare at me and Mason. I sunk back in my seat from the sudden attention, my cheeks burning a prickly pink.

"Yes?" I croaked, whipping my head up.

I could hear Mason silently snickering in his chair. I tried my best not to punch him right in the face.