fifty seven

agog (adjective) - very eager to hear or see something

HARRY'S POV

Absolutely scared shitless.

I had never even officially met any girl's parents before. Now I was trying to impress myself before Addison's mother?  I had played a number of shows in front of thousands of people, moved across the globe without a definite plan, lost my hard work to Zayn, dropped out of uni, and I can admit that being alone with Addison's mother was one of the scariest things I have ever done.

It seemed impossible, it seemed unheard of, it seemed-

"Can you grab the silverware, cups, and plates? I'll fetch everything else." Laney proposed once we got into the kitchen.

"Yes, of course." I was glad to have something to distract me from the anxiety bursting in my chest.

I used my memory to find the silverware, glass cups, and the nicest plates they owned. I quietly followed Laney into the dining room and began to place them along the beautiful, dark wood, table.

"You know that the silverware goes in a certain placement?" Laney placed an empty, crystal, vase in the middle of the table. "Do you know that?"

"Yeah." I reminded myself to stay polite and not sound like the usual asshole that I am. "I used to set the table with my sister for every dinner."

"You have a sister?" She flipped her thick hair, red, behind her shoulder.

"She's older." I glanced up at Laney before continuing to set the table. "Her name's Gemma."

"And she lives...?"

"She's planning on moving to London sometime soon, but she lives in Cheshire right now." I answered, feeling a flow in our conversation. "Cheshire, England. That's where I'm from. My mum, dad, and stepdad live there."

"Stepdad?" Laney seemed interested. "Your parents divorced?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"What's that like?"

"Ah, I dunno. I'm so used to my parents being divorced it doesn't bother me anymore. It was hard at first because it came as such a sudden surprise, but I don't mind anymore, especially since I moved out to LA and away from my family." I told her, deciding not to give too much information away. "It put a strain on me and my mum's relationship because of her new husband, but you know, I still love her to pieces."

"You and your mom have a good relationship, then?"

"Yes, I have a good relationship with all my immediate family."

Laney hummed, and I could tell that she wanted to ask more about my parent's divorce but she kept her mouth closed.

I remembered Addison telling me about her parent's possible divorce. Surely this must be a sign, right? I felt my heart drop for a moment as I pictured Addison's face as I told her about her mum asking about my parent's divorce. Addison isn't stupid, she's one of the smartest people I know, surely she would put the pieces together.

At that moment, I decided not to tell Ad about it.

About 15 minutes passed, and Laney was just nonstop firing questions at me. About my life and family in Cheshire, moving out to LA with my friends, going to USC, dropping out of USC, starting One Direction, my social life, the boys, my penthouse, what steps we're taking to further my career with One Direction.

While she maintained her usual poised posture throughout, I could quickly tell that she was feeling more comfortable around me and we were beginning to create a mutual liking for each other.