twenty eight

my cat keeps running into my trashcan

conflate (verb) - to blend together

"Then quit acting like it," I practically shouted. "I don't have to hang out with you all the time."

"I never said you had to do anything," he stated stubbornly, the sass in his tone driving me mad.

"Okay, well," I stuttered, noticeably flustered. "No need to be an ass about it."

He paused for a moment, as if he were rethinking this whole situation. "If you don't want to do this, just fucking say it, Addison.  Don't string me along like a fool."

I shut my eyes and lowered my voice, trying to embracing my more sensitive side. "No, Harry, I want to do this. I want to hang out with you. But not all the time. We need our own time or we'll just end up hating each other."

"I could never hate you," Harry whispered, his syrupy voice pouring over the phone and straight into my heart.

"I know." I sighed.

A few silent moments passed by before I spoke up again. "You shouldn't have texted Aria and waited outside my apartment building. That wasn't appropriate at all."

"I know," Harry admitted, understanding.  "Most girls thinks it's romantic. You know, spontaneously telling you to come outside in 10 minutes and taking you on some random adventure. I don't know, it was a stupid idea."

"It wasn't shhtuupid." I mimicked his accent, making us both laugh, successfully defusing the tension. "I mean, I like the random adventure part. If I were in the mood for it, I would've gone. But I was having a really nice nap, and you just ruined it."

"Sorry about ruining your nap."

"Mhm, you should be," I cracked a small smile and Harry laughed quietly.

"Maybe next time I can nap with you?" Harry optimistically proposed.

"Maybe, someday."

"I'm counting the days until that someday."

"I'm sure you are," I chuckled and so did he.

"It's just that most girls would just die at the opportunity to go out with me. I'd say be outside in 10 minutes and they'd be outside in five. You're the only girl who's ever said no, actually," Harry told me. "That's why I texted Aria and kept calling you. I was so freaked out that you wouldn't say yes, I was doing everything I could to change your mind."

"I get it." I told him, remembering that his was scary for him too. "Don't sweat it, seriously."

Harry was used to girls fawning over him and doing whatever he asked. He didn't know what do with me, I mean, I barley ever listen to him and constantly poke fun at him.

But in the same breath, I didn't know what to do with him, either.

"So, are we good?" I asked.

"Just a little blow to my ego, but I'll survive, sunshine."

"Get used to it, because you're going to have a lot of blows." I smirked mischievously.

"Am I? Aren't I lucky," Harry burst out into generous laughter. "When can I get my first blow?"

What?

Oh...

"That's not what I meant, oh god." I could feel my whole body burning with a mixture of pure horror and embarrassment. "I am not going to blow you, believe me on that."

"You aren't?" He tried to contain his own laughter. "You sure about that?"

"Yes, I am definitely sure."

"We'll see about that, love."

"We're changing the subject. I don't want to talk about not blowing you anymore," I made sure to emphasize the not, which made him laugh.

"I should get going, actually. Me and the boys are going to dinner with some friends." Harry said. "Give Aria my apologies, would you?"

For some reason, I wished that Harry invited me to come to the dinner with him. But I knew he wouldn't, considering the fact that I had just recently turned him down, and also considering we were still figuring things out.

I'm just confusing myself at this point. I don't know what I want, or I don't think so.

"I will," I assured him. "I am sure that she will appreciate the apology."

"Hurry the fuck up, Harry! You're always the last person, you shithead!" I could hear Louis yelling in the background.

I couldn't help but laugh at Louis' snippy personality. "Sounds like you should get going."

Harry shouted something back to Louis, but he had purposely thickened his accent and spoke so fast that I couldn't understand.

He spoke back into the phone. "Ah, before I go. There's this small concert that we're performing at tomorrow night at 8, nothing too big, maybe around 1,200 people-"

"1,200 people." I repeated under my breath.

1,200 people? That's a lot of people. It's safe to say that I am even more confused about Harry's band than before.

"Yes, 1,200 people. I have two extra tickets, and I was wondering if you and Aria wanted them. You don't have to stay the whole time or anything, I mean, unless you want to-"

"We would love to have those two extra tickets," I interrupted him. "Text me the address."

"Really?" He seemed to be in disbelief.

"Yes, a thousand times yes."

"Cool, I will." I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I finally get to see your band play." I bit down on my thumb, hiding my smile. "Exciting, huh?"

"Harry, I am going to fucking kick you in the throat if you don't stop jerking off and get your ass over here right now!" Louis shouted at Harry in the background. "Everybody is waiting on us!"

"I'm not jerking off, you asshat!" Harry shouted, his suddenly tensely booming voice making me jump.

"Yeah, you fucking are!" I heard Louis shout and the rest of the boys laugh.

"I have to go," Harry said breathlessly into the phone. "Or I'm, apparently, going to get my throat kicked."

I eased into a teasing pout and fondly twirled my blonde hair around my finger. "We wouldn't want that, would we?"