eighty two

THEY'RE GONNA FUCK SOON DON'T WORRY -G

"Fucking hell." Harry groaned.

I stepped away from him and began to place some food on the freshly clean plates. "I told your Dad that I wanted more food only because I wanted an excuse to stay longer. But it'd be awkward if he were the only person eating, don't you think?"

Harry laughed, flipping his hair off his forehead. "I'll take a plate then, you idiot."

"You rock." I gave him the plate.

"I know."

I took a plate for Desmond and followed Harry into the musky living room. Harry and I sat on either sides of Desmond, who was intently watching the news.

"Here you go." I handed Desmond a plate of fish and chips.

"Thanks, love." He said after a moment, peeling away from the television and looking at me with a hearty smile.

"Sure thing." I leaned back on the couch and politely crossed my ankles.

After light conversation about the news and being back in England and it's brutal winter, Harry's phone began to ring. He looked at the caller before leaning behind Desmond's back so his father couldn't see what he was saying

"It's Louis. I think if it's about the single."

I gave him a simple thumbs up.

"You don't mind being alone with my Dad?" He mouthed.

"It's fine."

"You sure?"

Harry gave me a look like he didn't believe me. I mirrored the same look back to him, making him smirk.

"Call me if anything's wrong." He mouthed before standing up from the couch, pressing the phone against his ear. "Yeah, Lou, what's up, man?"

As soon as Harry left the house to stand outside, I felt my body involuntarily tense. The blinds and curtains were closed, restricting not only any sunlight from entering the poorly-lit room, but also any chance for Harry being able to keep an eye on me.

Of course I didn't suspect Desmond of doing anything inappropriate, but whether or not I was willing to admit to Harry, I felt uncomfortable being alone with Desmond. There was something about his inconsideration and lack of relationship with his kids that made me itch.

But he was Harry's Dad, so I was willing to get to know him better.

"What was that all about?" Desmond gestured towards Harry.

I brought my knees to my chest. "Business stuff."

"Funny to think my son has business stuff and I don't." He snorted, looking at me with raised eyebrows. "You got business stuff?"

"I've got college student stuff." I smirked and so did he.

"Harry was enrolled into one of them American universities, one of 'em fancy ones." He looked out at the TV while I looked at the side of his face. "I kind of wished he stayed in uni. It's more concrete than the whole music deal." 

"He's more successful than almost all people his age, and it's all because of his band. He's more successful than me and I'm still in college. I mean, he's set for life." I found myself defending Harry on a topic that I had initially been concerned about.

"I wish I had business stuff." 

"Why don't you just get a job, then?" I didn't realize how snobby that sounded.