sixty five

"Can you drop off the application papers today?"

"No, Jacob, I'm sorry." I said onto the phone.

"I told you that I needed them today." His voice went flat. "Addison-"

I interrupted him, my voice sharp and demanding. "I'm just really busy today, Jacob."

I didn't realize how rude I sounded until it slipped from my lips. I rushed to apologize but he was already speaking.

"Is everything alright?" He asked with an honest sincerity.

"Yeah...I mean no. No." I let out a deep breath, deciding to reword what I was about to say. "I'm okay. It's going to be okay."

"Addison?"

"My roommate can fax over the papers now, is that fine?" My eyes browsed the shops that I drove by, trying to find the one Lou recommend we all meet at.

Jacob paused for a moment. "Yes, Addison, that's fine. We can meet about the essay and the application process at the end of the week. Can you do that for me?"

"Of course. I'll schedule that later. I have to go."

He noticed the worry in my voice. "And you swear you're okay, right? If you need anything, as your friend, I'd be more than happy to help. You should know that. Even if it's regarding Harry-"

I stopped him right there. "Jacob, thanks a lot for helping me with the internship and everything, but I'm fine."

"Okay." He hummed lightly, clearly still unsure. "Bye."

"Bye." I hung up before parking in front of some fancy vegan store that Lou swore to be her holy grail.

After texting Aria and telling her to fax my papers over to Jacob's office, I jumped out of my Jeep and walked into the shop.

"Ad!"

I turned my head to see Louis, Niall, and Lou sitting at a circular table, noticeably freshly showered and clothed. A familiarly strange knot tied in my stomach as I shyly pressed a strand of hair behind my ear and slowly made my way over to them.

"Why do you look like you just lost your best friend, sunshine?" Louis pouted out his bottom lip as I sat down between Niall and Lou, Louis and Liam sitting across from me.

"Just feeling anxious." I took a piece of vegan bread from the basket, ripping it in half before taking a bite. "Wow, that just tastes...wrong."

"I wanted to go to some pizza joint but Princess over here wasn't having it." Niall rolled his eyes at Lou.

"I'm on a diet." She argued. "And you should be too if you're going to fit into those pants I just ordered you. They're Valentino!"

Niall growled and Lou squished his cheeks.

"Let's just get right into this." Lou clasped her hands together onto the table, pressing her matte brown lips into a straight line.

"We're really getting into this right away." I smirked cheerlessly.

"Well, we assume there's a lot that you need to tell us." Niall chirped, his strong accent warming my heart and tickling my lips to give him a soft smile.

"There is." My soft smile began to feel fake, so I let it slowly drop.

Louis' lips formed an O shape as he pushed out a long sigh, shaking his head. "All these fucking secrets, man."