ninety one

Hi, did you forget about me? It's been a minute. I apologize :) -Gi

"I'm done. I'm gonna be sick tomorrow." I passed the bottle to Mason after taking another gulp. 

"Got class tomorrow?" He fell back against the brick wall opposite from me, his head rolling before leaning his cheek on his shoulder. 

I took a few minutes to let my mind wander before responding, my vision distant as I tried to focus on Mason. I slid a hand down my face, trying to stay awake. "I'm not going."

Mason chuckled, his lips against the bottle. "Very unlike of you."

I smiled grimly, turning my head and looking away. We were in a dark and narrow alley only a block away from Sepi's, between a barbershop and a boutique. In the thin strip of light that emerged from the entrance of the alley I could see people walking by, some stumbling drunk and others laughing loudly with their friends. 

My high was making me paranoid that they were paparazzi looking for me, but my drunkenness was making me too unbothered to care.

 "I guess I'm changing." I muttered to myself, looking back at Mason.

"Oh, shit." He laughed as the bottle slipped from his hands like it were butter, the glass crashing hard on the alley pavement. "Good thing I was done with that."

"Fuck, Mas!" I whisper-shouted. 

He wouldn't stop laughing. His excited tears glistened in the dark. 

"Shh! Be quiet!" I stepped over to Mason, slapping my palm over his lips. 

My words were drowsy and sloppy, slipping past my lips without hesitation and censorship.I could feel his smile under my hand, causing me to smile myself. 

"You have to be quiet!" I heard myself whine, slowly taking my hand away. "I could get in trouble."

Mas, only a few inches away, stared into my eyes, a goofy smile on his face. I burst out into unsolicited laugher, leaning my head on his shoulder. Mason's shoulder felt different than Harry's, it wasn't strong or broad or muscular, but it was familiar, it was kind.

"Why are you going to Philly?"

I picked my head up from Mason's shoulder, smirking at him sadly. "They just won the Super Bowl. It's an omen."

He chuckled. "Seriously."

"We're not in the right mind to have this conversation."

"But why?"

I shrugged stupidly. "Writing is the only thing I'm good at."

"That's not true."

"It is." I laughed. "I'm not a good celebrity. I'm not a good girlfriend. I'm not a good daughter."

"You're a good friend." He offered. 

"I've barely been seeing you guys." I sighed, drunk tears welling up in my eyes. "I've been so caught up with Harry. Fucking Harry."

"Fucking Harry." Mason repeated under his breath, making us both chuckle.

"I love him. I love him with all my heart. He taught me so many things, and I'll always be grateful for him. But I get scared, you know? Scared of us going two different paths. It's terrifying as hell, actually." It took me a while to spit out and form my slurring words, but Mason nodded, somewhat understanding. "But I'm trying this new thing."

"And what's that?"

"Living in the moment." I smiled at him, wiping my eyes. 

He raised his eyebrows, impressed"Again, very unlike you."