eighteen

serein (noun) - evening serenity

"Where the hell are you taking me?" I leaned my cheek against the foggy window. 

"You're going to love it, I swear. It's awesome." Harry promised with great excitement.

"This is making me anxious."" I exhaled stingingly. 

"We're almost there, maybe five minutes." He poked my knee with his finger, making we squirm slightly at his unfamiliar and cold touch.

"You said that twenty minutes ago," I quietly pointed out, blindly counting the numbers of red cars that drove by.

"You said that twenty minutes ago," Harry mimicked my whiney voice, although his American accent surprisingly sounded completely believable.

I bit back my laugh and slapped his arm. "Shut up."

We had left the outskirts of Northern Hollywood about 20 minutes ago, and we were now, mercilessly flying down a empty highway that divided a peaceful forest into two hills.

I had no clue where the hell we were, and I was beginning to think that maybe this was a bad idea. I didn't even know Harry, and here we were, in the middle of the night, aimlessly driving.

"Don't you trust me?" Harry smirked cockily.

"No."

"Well then," he mumbled, seemingly offended by my distrust in him.

"Trust issues."

"Hmm. Past relationship?" He looked over at me with his soft lips pressed into a firm line.

"Long story." I faintly told him. "I don't pick at old scars. I've learned that it doesn't do me any good."

"I hear you. But they're scars for a reason," he fiddled with the radio, turning to a station that I had never heard before.

But they're scars for a reason.

Neither Harry nor I said anything the rest of the car ride, but Harry filled the silence with his indie pop radio station. Harry didn't seem to mind the silence between us, he was too caught up with his musical escape.

As I restarted my count of red cars, my ears listened pleasantly to the calming sounds of Harry drumming his thumbs against the leather steering wheel and his light humming.

* * *

"We're here." Harry tightly squeezed my upper arm, causing me to jolt awake.

My eyes fluttered open, not aware that I had even fallen asleep. I looked out the window, my eyes beginning adjust to the serene darkness of the warm night.

"What is this place?"

I looked to see a massive clearing by the side of the dirt road. It was peacefully tucked behind a circle of sky-touching trees, a only a small entrance created by the trees gave us permission to walk to the clearing.

Harry opened the door for me. "A special place."

I hopped out of the Range Rover and landed on the dirt path with an "oomph." Harry laughed at my rough landing, which resulted in me hitting his surprisingly muscular arm.

I twirled around, seeing nothing but enormous trees that looked like monsters in the obscurity of night. "What do you mean? It just looks like woods to me."