fifty six

ineffable (adj) - too great to be expressed in words

"Hi, Dr. Zimmerman."

"Hello. Nice to see you two again." Dr. Zimmerman shook both of our hands. "How's your holiday going?"

"It's going." Harry responded darkly and the doctor laughed quietly. "Yours?"

I always loved watching Harry interact with other people, as creepy as that sounds. There was something about his chivalrous politeness and his tender playfulness that made me proud to stand next to him. He knew just when to flash his beautiful smile and when to respectfully hold back, when to make his accent more posh and when to appropriately change his tone.

"Oh, it's going just fine." The doctor gestured towards the swing doors. "Shall we?"

Harry gave Dr. Zimmerman a 'one second' gesture before pulling me me to the side. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"Do you want to come with me?" I asked him.

"It's not about me." He shook his head, his eyes locking with mine. 

I knew how needy it would sound to directly ask Harry to come inside with me, but I was desperate for his company. I just bit my bottom lip before nodding shyly.

He turned back to the doctor. "Can I come in, too?"

"I don't see why not." Dr. Zimmerman waved it off before leading us through the familiar swinging doors that lead to the emergency care.

I stayed back with Harry, allowing the doctor to lead us through the twisting halls. I glanced over at Harry, who's once light green eyes had flashed a deep jade and his hands stuffed anxiously into his pockets.

"Are you alright?" I noticed his pale cheeks.

"Yeah," he kept his head straight, trying hard not to look into the patient rooms. "Hospitals just make me feel funny."

"You don't like hospitals?"

"I don't know anybody who likes hospitals." Harry scoffed lightly before nervously licking his lips.

"Do you want to go to the waiting room?" I proposed. "I can deal with this myself if you feel uncomfortable-"

"No, I want to be here. For you. I'll be okay." He hastily assured me, grabbing ahold of my hand and interlocking his fingers with mine. 

"Okay."

"How are you feeling?" Harry wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into him.

"Honestly?" I pursed my lips. "I feel fine. Just knowing that Alec is feeling better makes me feel better, you know? And just the possibility of Alec being able to come home for Thanksgiving dinner without an issue puts me at ease."

"It's all going to work out fine." Harry hummed and I prayed that he was right.

We followed the doctor to the entrance of Alec's room, which was covered up a blue curtain. The doctor stopped us a few feet away from the entrance, keeping his voice low enough so only we could hear.

"Alec is looking a lot better than last night. His vitals are back to normal and he's slept well all through the night and afternoon. I recommend giving him something to eat as soon as you get home, preferably something bread-based. Also, make sure he's hydrated. The more water the better." Dr. Zimmerman instructed, handing me a sheet of paper of his symptoms and instructions to get him back to health.