eighty seven

LONG ASS AND SPICY ASS CHAPTER BC ITS ALMOST 2018! HURRAH! -GIGI

"Are you done with that?"

"Yes, dear. Oh! You don't have to do that-"

"It's alright." I grabbed their plate, scooping up a few more empty plates and glasses that had been abandoned as everybody began to split off into groups in the living room.

Before I entered the kitchen to clean the plate, I heard laughter and grumbling coming from the kitchen. I stopped and leaned my back against the wall, peering into the kitchen to see Anne and Desmond talking by the sink, right where I needed to be.

I noted how despite their strained relationship, they talked with such familiarity; she looked relaxed and pleasingly calm and he leaned into her slightly as she spoke. Anne laughed with her eyes closed, just like Harry does. 

I felt as if I were watching something I shouldn't, but I wanted to. As I watched them laugh, I began to wonder if even though they were divorced, if they still loved each other. 

"Hey, stranger."

"Oh!" I snapped up to see Harry looming over me. "Hi!"

"You've just been the life of the party, huh? We haven't got a chance to talk alone all night."

"Maybe I've been avoiding you." I teased.

"Fair enough." He gave me a funny look. "You know you don't have to clean up after everybody, right?"

"I know, I just-" I huffed. "I don't want Anne to worry. She's done so much already."

"You don't have to worry about my Mum."

I shrugged. "Worrying is my thing."

"Let me take some of those," he took some of the plates from my arm. "You know, Ad, my Mum appreciates everything you've been doing for her around the house. Thanks for that."

"It's not a problem." I bit my lip. "What's up with your dad? How's he been tonight?"

"I don't want to say it." He groaned.

I grinned. "Say it."

"No."

I stepped closer to him, craning my neck so I could look up at him. "Yes."

"I'm glad that you invited Desmond." He muttered and I burst into the largest smile I could muster. 

"That's all I've been wanting to hear."

"I've always considered my Mum, Gem, the boys, their families, Lou, and Lux to be my family." He furrowed his eyebrows as he spoke. "But having Desmond here tonight...it just made it feel complete. It felt we were a complete family, if that made any sense."

"It made total sense." I used my free hand to play with the hem of his shirt. "I'm happy for you, babe. I know you and Desmond don't have the best relationship but I think you guys have a good shot at fixing it. Don't let him go."

"f it weren't for you, my Dad and I still wouldn't be talking." He kissed the top of my head. "Come on."

I followed him into the kitchen, bumping into his back as he suddenly stopped in his tracks. "Harry! Why'd you stop?"

I peered around Harry to see Desmond's dry, cracked, hand resting sweetly on Anne's delicate arm. They were speaking closer than they had been before, a borderline intimate closeness. 

"Oh! Addison, Harry! Harry, darling." Anne feverishly stepped away from Desmond, who timidly looked away and pushed his lips into a straight line.