twenty three

thank ya'll so much for 1k reads & 200+ votes and comments! it's crazy how fast this series has been growing!! keep it up & thank you all so much x

ps next chapter is a lil steamy ;) -g

mamihlapinatapai (noun...japanese) - the wordless look between two people who both desire something, yet are equally reluctant to imitate

His dangerously hooded eyes hid an odd mixture of disappointment, anger, and a hint of knowing cockiness.

"Harry?" Niall noticed him as well. "I thought you died up there."

"I smelt pizza," Harry mumbled as he strode into the living room, keeping his eyes strictly set on mine.

I half expected Harry to say hello, to wave, to nod, to simply just acknowledge my presence. But he didn't, which I also half expected.

He looked good, but of course he looked good.

He was wearing a white shirt with a low collar, revealing two, intricately-drawn, dark, swallows on his upper chest. His skinny jeans were ripped in one knee and his lengthy hair looked adorably messy.

Just from looking at him, my mouth went dry and my heart hummed in my ear. I softly cleared my throat, my body hot with embarrassment and bashfulness.

We both looked away at the same time.

I innocently watched in the corner of my eye as he quietly grabbed three slices of pizza. Without a goodbye, he effortlessly turned around on his heel and strode back out the living room.

"Stay, Haz." Louis called out for Harry, who was already about to walk back up the steps.

"What the hell are you doing, Louis?" I shot Louis a strong glare but he ignored me.

Harry stopped walking and turned back to us. "I was just going to my room. Listen to music."

"No, really. We would love to have you."

"Louis," Liam tiredly seethed through his teeth in annoyance, rubbing his temples.

"I wouldn't want to intrude your...little get together." Harry insisted, annoying cockiness laced through his slow voice.

Please just keep walking up the steps. Please just keep walking up the steps. Please just keep walking up the steps.

"Mate, come on." Louis enthusiastically waved Harry over. "Cheer up, we have pizza."

"Alright," Harry looked me directly in the eyes and smirked, as if he were teasing me.

"Louis!" I angrily whisper-shouted at Louis, throwing my elbow into his soft stomach.

"Oh!" He doubled over in pain. "Good lord, woman. You'll thank me later." 

I tried my best to avoid contact with Harry as he sat in a single, leather, seat across from our couch. Of course he had to sit directly in front of me, making it almost impossible to ignore his presence.

"Ugh," I slid down in my seat, just wanting to disappear.

Everybody in the room was focused on us, everyone wanted to see if one of us would just snap. The air shifted, making me feel claustrophobic in my own space.

"Anyway," Niall began to tell Aria and I some story about how Liam got lost in the zoo.

All the boys happily joined into the story, shouting their versions of the story and laughing at each other. I tried to listen, but I was too occupied with the man who I had let down, staring right at me.